South African Pear & Gingerbread Muffins.
You’re going to love these gorgeous muffins!
They taste sublime topped with mascarpone cheese and lightly caramelised South African pears.
How To Make South African Pear And Gingerbread Muffins:
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
- 110g butter
- 110g light muscovado sugar
- 110g black treacle
- 175g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 150ml milk
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 South African pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 South African pear
- 20g butter
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Fine shreds of lemon zest, plus the juice of the lemon
- 200g mascarpone cheese
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan oven 170°C, Gas Mark 5. Put 12 paper muffin cases into a muffin tin.
- Put the butter, sugar and black treacle into a saucepan and heat gently until melted. Don’t allow the mixture to get too hot. Cool slightly. Sift the flour, salt and ginger into a mixing bowl.
- Add the melted mixture and beaten egg, stirring them in thoroughly.
- Heat the milk until lukewarm, then add the bicarbonate of soda.
- Quickly stir into the ginger mixture, pour into a jug and share between the muffin cases. Spoon an equal amount of chopped pear into each muffin case.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until risen and firm. Cool on a wire rack.
- While the muffins are cooling, core and slice the remaining pear neatly.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan until sizzling, then add the pear slices, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes until lightly caramelised.
- Top the muffins with the mascarpone, then finish off with the cooled pear slices and lemon zest.
- Always use cook’s measuring spoons for accuracy – and level them off!
*Recipe and photograph by South Africa*
*No Payment was received*