Spring is in the air and how sweet are these sunflower cupcakes?
Makes 12 cupcakes gold or brown cases
- 125 grams self-raising flour
- 125 grams caster sugar
- 125 grams soft unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6 and line the tin with the cake cases.
- Put all the ingredients except for the milk in the processor and then blitz till smooth. Pulse while adding milk, to make for a soft, dropping consistency, down the funnel. Alternatively, put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and use an electric hand mixer.
- Or using a bowl and wooden spoon, cream the butter and sugar, beat in the eggs one at a time with a little of the flour. Add the vanilla extract and fold in the rest of the flour, adding the milk to get the dropping consistency as before.
- Spoon into the cases equally.
- Put in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cupcakes are cooked and golden on top, check to see if the cupcakes are ready by inserting a cocktail stick into one of the cupcakes. If it comes out dry then the cupcakes are done. As soon as possible, take the cupcakes in their cases out of the tin and let cool, on a wire rack.
Chocolate Buttercream Ingredients:
Recipe covers 12 cupcakes:
- 125g softened butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 25g of good quality cocoa powder
- 1 – 2 tbsp milk
- For a simple buttercream icing mix butter with the icing sugar and cocoa powder. Continue to mix until smooth adding the milk to loosen the buttercream.
- Cake Angels White mini marshmallows
- Cake Angels Chocoholic’s Delight
Make 12 cupcakes:
- Spread the chocolate buttercream using a palette knife on top of the cupcakes, creating a flat surface and smooth gently with the palette knife. If the buttercream sticks to the knife, heat the knife in a glass of hot water, wipe quickly and smooth the buttercream, repeat if necessary. Don’t worry too much as most of the buttercream will be covered with marshmallows!
- Take some Cake Angels white mini marshmallows and cut in half diagonally across the middle.
- Take a sandwich bag and fill ¼ full with yellow glimmer sugar and add the cut marshmallows the cut side is sticky and will stick to the sugar.
- Gently push them into the chocolate buttercream, starting at the outside edge of the cupcake with the ‘pointy’ part of the cut marshmallow pointing outwards.
- Complete the circle.
- Now create a second inner circle of petals in the same way. Cover the centre with Cake Angels Chocoholic’s Delight to complete your sunflower cupcakes.
*Recipe and photograph by Cake Angles*
*No Payment was received*