Who can resist a traditional Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe? I know I can’t.
(I love a bit of cake, especially when I have done a long run as I know I have earned it then ;))
This cake is filled with whipped cream, strawberry conserve, raspberry yogurt and fresh strawberries.
What’s not to love?
Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe:
- 5 large eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 150g plain flour sifted
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 200ml whipping cream
- 100g Rachel’s low-fat raspberry yogurt
- 4 tbsp strawberry conserve
- 150g fresh strawberries, sliced Icing sugar to decorate
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and grease and line two 20cm/8inch round sandwich tins.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla using an electric whisk. The mixture should double in volume and leave a trail.
- Using a large metal spoon add half the flour and gently fold in. Follow this with half the oil then add the remaining flour and oil.
- Pour the batter into each tin evenly. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until golden and springy to touch.
- Allow the sponges to cool slightly in the tins and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream until soft peaks form and gently fold in the yogurt – try and achieve a ripple effect. Sandwich the cakes by spreading over the strawberry conserve then add the sliced strawberries and spread over the cream and yogurt mixture.
- Dust with icing sugar, serve or chill until required.
PER SERVING (150g): 483kcal, Protein 8.3g, Carbs 48.2g, Sugar 34.6g, Fat 28.2g, Sat Fat 9.3g, Fibre 1.2g, Salt 0.1g COST PER SERVING (150g): £0.50
Recipe and photography by Rachel’s
Fancy trying a slice or 2 of this yummy Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe?
Perfect for a weekend treat, don’t you think?
Lrt me know your thoughts in the comment box below.