I am always on the lookout for new and healthier ingredients to bake with.
I would love to make the perfect treat which is really good for you, tastes great and is low in calories.
How perfect would that be!?
This week thanks to HIB 100 I have been baking with some Vita Coco Coconut Oil; that they have kindly sent me.
I am a big fan of coconuts products. I love the smell of them. They taste so yummy too. I like to eat it fresh, in and on top of cakes and also covered in chocolate.
Sometimes healthy, sometimes not!
This is my first time I have swapped butter as an ingredient for coconut oil to bake with, so I was little nervous to see how they would turn out!
First up I made some nutty cherry granola:
Cooking time: Around 25 minutes until golden
You will need:
A rectangle baking tray
Cherry and Nut Granola Treat:
- 125g porridge oats
- 100g Vita Coco Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoon golden syrup
- 2 Tablespoon of honey
- 75g Plain flour
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extracts
- 1 Teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 100g Walnuts, whole or chopped
- 100g Glace cherries
- Weigh out all your ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350oF), Fan 170 C Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line a rectangle cake tin with baking paper.
- If you are using whole walnuts, place them inside a plastic food bag and seal the end of the bag. Bash the bag with a end of a rolling pin until all crushed into small pieces.
- In a medium pan add the coconut oil, golden syrup, honey and gently melt over a medium heat. String all the time, until all the ingredients have all melted. Remove the saucepan off the heat. Add the vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Mix the porridge oats, plain flour, ground cinnamon, walnuts and glace cherries in a large bowl.
- Pour the melted mixture over a little at a time, string until all mixed in.
- Transfer to the greased tin, flatten down with the back of a fork.
- Bake in the center of a pre heated over for around 25 minutes.
- Once golden, remove from oven and mix around.
- Transfer to a large plate and leave to cool
Granola is great on its own, with milk and tastes amazing with yogurt.
I made a pan-fried banana in coconut oil to go with mine.
Have you ever tried frying banana?
Oh wow, it tastes amazing!
I cooked mine in some coconut oil and added some vanilla extract and cinnamon.
As well as it tasting amazing it is healthy too!!
Pan fried banana, homemade granola, yogurt and blueberries:
- 1 Large banana, peeled and cut lengthways
- 1-2 Teaspoons Coconut Oil
- Half of teaspoon of Vanilla extracts
- Sprinkle with cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons of water
- 30g Home-made granola
- 100ml Natural yoghurt
- Handful of fresh blueberries
- Drizzle with maple syrup or honey ( optional)
- In a griddle pan heat the coconut oil up over a medium heat. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Fry the banana for 2 minutes then flip and cook another side for 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to low. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Turn back to medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a plate, leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Add yoghurt, granola and blueberries.
- Add a little maple syrup or honey to taste.
Some more ideas to mix up your homemade granola into:
A glass jar full of granola, natural yogurt, and fresh fruit is my favourite.
A sprinkle on top of your favourite fruit treats.
Spoonfuls sprinkled on top of a smoothie bowl…
Or on its own!!
“This recipe is an entry into the #Swearbyit challenge with Vita Coco. Find more great coconut oil recipes and tips on using coconut oil at Swear By It”