BerryWorld Strawberry Cream Victoria Sponge anyone?
Named after Queen Victoria herself, there are few cakes that can beat this all-time classic recipe.
You can spread strawberry jam (turning it into a jam sponge) or whipped vanilla cream on the base of one sponge cake as a filling, or both.
This classic recipe is one of my favourites.
How To Make A BerryWorld Strawberry Cream Victoria Sponge:
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 175g butter, soft
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 fresh eggs
- 175g self raising flour
- 250ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp icing sugar and extra for sifting
- 400g strawberries
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam (optional)
What to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Butter and line two 18 cm sandwich tins with baking parchment.
- Beat the butter and the sugar till pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well. Fold in the flour, one spoon at a time.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and level with a knife. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the sponge cakes are well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Cool the sponge cakes on a wire rack. Hull the strawberries and slice them in half.
- Whip the cream till quite stiff, mix in the icing sugar and the vanilla.
- When the cakes are cool, spread the jam on one of the sponge cakes (if using) and spread half of the whipped cream on top.
- Place half of the strawberries on top of the cream.
- Place the other sponge cake on top and spread with the remaining whipped cream.
- Arrange the remaining strawberries in a spiral round the cake.
*Recipe and photograph by Berry World*
*No Payment was received*
What do you think of this BerryWorld Strawberry Cream Victoria Sponge?
Fancy trying it?