Fit For The Queen: Coronation Chicken.
Created for the Queen’s coronation in 1953, what street party would be complete without Coronation Chicken?
Celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday with this Royal recipe from Hellmann’s.
How To Make Coronation Chicken Sandwich:
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 80 minutes
- 1kg whole organic chicken
- 1.5l water
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, roughly sliced
- 2 sprigs tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tsps medium curry powder
- 2 tsps tomato puree
- 1 tsp light muscovado sugar
- 4 dollops Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise
- 200g low-far crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Handful of sultanas
- 8 slices deseeded wholegrain bread
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 spring onion, chopped
How To Make:
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan and add the water, 1 onion, carrot, tarragon and bay leaf. Bring to the toil and then simmer slowly, poaching the chicken for 1 hour until cooked. Leave chicken to cool in the liquid. Remove chicken and retain 200ml of the liquid.
- In a separate frying pan, heat the oil. Cook the remaining onion for 3-4 minutes on medium heat until softened, but not brown. Add the curry powder, tomato puree, muscovado sugar and retained chicken liquid. Bring to the boil and pass through a fine sieve.
- When completely cool, add the Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise, crème fraiche, lemon juice and sultanas to the curry mix. Shred the chicken into bite-sized portions and mix thoroughly with the coronation sauce.
- Lay out four slices of the bread, spoon on the chicken spread equally across the 4 sandwiches, sprinkle on some chopped coriander and spring onions. Now top with remaining slices of bread. Serve immediately.
- Store any remaining chicken mixture in the fridge for extra sandwiches.
*Recipe and recipe photography by Hellmann’s*
*No Payment was received*
What do you think of this Coronation Chicken sandwich?
Do you think it is Fit For The Queen?