White Chocolate Gateau anyone?
By Gregg Wallace
White Chocolate Gateau:
Preparation time 45 minutes, plus cooling
Cooking time 25–30 minutes
- Butter, for greasing
- 4 eggs
- 125 g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 125 g (4 oz) plain flour
- 50 g (2 oz) Divine White Chocolate, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons rosewater, or 2–3 drops rose essence
- 150 ml (1⁄4 pint) crème fraîche
- 200 g (7 oz) Divine White Chocolate, broken into pieces
- 75 g (3 oz) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons single cream, at room temperature
- 125 g (4 oz) icing sugar
- White chocolate curls
- Sugared rose petals (optional)
- Sifted icing sugar, for dusting
- Grease and line the bases of two 20 cm (8 inch) round sandwich tins. Whisk the eggs and caster sugar together in a large bowl using a hand-held electric whisk until thick enough to leave a trail when the whisk is lifted.
- Sift the flour into the bowl. Add the grated chocolate and fold in using a large metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and bake in a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, for 20–25 minutes until just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Stir the rosewater into the crème fraîche and use to sandwich the 2 cakes together on a serving plate.
- Put the white chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water so that the base of the bowl is not touching the water and leave until melted. Allow to cool, then stir in the cream and icing sugar and beat until smooth. Leave the mixture to cool further until it forms soft peaks, then spread over the top and side of the cake using a palette knife.
- Decorate the top of the cake with white chocolate curls, sugared rose petals, if you like, and a light dusting of icing sugar.
- The sugared rose petals decorating this cake enhance the subtle rosewater flavouring. To make, lightly brush fresh rose petals with beaten egg white and dust them with caster sugar. Leave to dry on non-stick greaseproof paper for 1–2 hours before using.
*Recipe and recipe photography by Divine Chocolate*
*No Payment was received*