Today I am sharing a Caribbean inspired recipes from Rachel’s Organic : Caribbean Chicken Stew with Cornbread Muffins.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 1 ½ hours
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 600g sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly cubed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 red hot chilli pepper, chopped finely whole with seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 300ml vegetable stock, hot
- 450g Rachel’s Greek Style Coconut yogurt
Cornbread Muffin Ingredients:
- 30g melted butter – for greasing and frying
- 165g tinned, drained or frozen sweetcorn
- 165g spring onion, chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded
- 140g plain flour, sieved
- 140g polenta or cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated, extra for topping
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 280g Rachel’s low fat Greek Style Natural yogurt
- 100ml milk
Method for the Casserole:
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan, ideally an ovenproof casserole dish. Brown the chicken in batches and then set aside. Drain off fat as necessary.
- Gently fry off the onion, carrots and sweet potato until softened. Stir in the garlic, ginger, various spices and chilli and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle over the cornflour and cook for a further minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the stock. Add the chicken pieces. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the coconut yogurt and check seasoning before serving.
Method for the Cornbread Muffins:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Brush a muffin tin with some of the melted butter.
- Fry in a small pan the sweetcorn, spring onions and chilli with the remaining butter. Fry until soft and golden.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, polenta, baking powder and cheese. Whisk the eggs, yogurt and milk, and add these to the bowl with the sweetcorn mixture made earlier.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin holes and sprinkle with the reserved cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until brown and firm to touch.
Hints and tips:
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick as pictured
Recipe and photography courtesy of Rachel’s