Have I got an amazing treat for you today!!
I am so excited to be able to share and also TRY this amazing Freak Shale recipe: Divine Chocolate and Molly Bakes Freak Shake.
By Maria Michaelides, Molly Bakes.
Not your average chocolate milkshake! Started in Australia and now served in Dalston, East London at Molly Bakes’ cafe, you can now create this chocolate-y concoction at home with Divine chocolate ice cream, rich ganache and delicious baked treats. Let loose with sprinkles, chocolate curls, sauces, fruit, nuts and more – your imagination is the only limit!
Photo credit: Hilary Moore
Makes two large or four small freakshakes, with leftover ganache. For two freakshakes, halve the ganache recipe.
How To Make A Divine Chocolate And Molly Bakes Freak Shake:
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- 100g Divine 70% Dark Chocolate Baking Bar, broken into pieces
- 350ml full fat milk
- 100g Fairtrade golden caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 350ml whipping cream
- Chocolate Ganache
- 200g double cream
- 20g butter, melted (if using as a glaze)
- 200g Divine 70% Dark Chocolate Baking Bar, chopped
To Make the Freak Shake:
- 3 scoops of Divine Chocolate ice cream plus extra for the top
- 250ml whole milk
- Chocolate ganache
- Sprinkles such as popping candy, chocolate flakes, honeycomb
- A baked good such as a brownie, cookie or a doughnut
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate sauce
- Caramel sauce
You will need:
- A mason jar
- A milkshake blender or food processor
Ice Cream Method:
- In a small saucepan, heat the chocolate and milk together gently, stirring until the mixture is smooth and the chocolate has melted. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the sugar and egg yolks into a large bowl and whisk until pale and the mixture leaves a trail when the whisk is lifted. Slowly add the milk mixture stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Strain the mixture into a medium saucepan and cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring continuously. Once the mixture thickens to a custard and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon remove from the heat. Do not allow the mixture to boil as it will curdle.
- Leave the mixture to cool for at least one hour, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin forming. In the meantime whip the cream to soft peaks, keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- If using an ice cream maker, place the whipped cream in and fold the custard mixture into the cream. Then churn the mixture following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Alternatively freeze the custard uncovered in a freezer proof container, for 1 hour, or until it begins to set around the edges. Turn the custard into a bowl and stir with a whisk until smooth, fold in the whipped cream. Return to the freezer and freeze for a further 2 hours.
- To store cover container with a lid and keep frozen until ready to serve.
- Place the chocolate into a medium sized heatproof bowl and set aside.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over a medium heat. If using butter to make a glaze heat it with the cream. Bring to the boil and immediately pour over the chocolate.
- Stir gently with the chocolate until smooth and all the chocolate has melted.
How to assemble:
- Add the 3 scoops of ice cream and milk into your food processor or blender.
- Blend on high speed for 4 minutes until all the ingredients are combined and smooth.
- Take a large spoonful of chocolate ganache and line the inside of the glass jar. Line the outside rim too.
- Line the exterior with the sprinkles. Dribble chocolate and caramel sauce down the sides of the jar.
- Pour the milkshake into the glass. Add an extra scoop of ice cream. It will float to the top.
- Top with whipped cream. Add more sprinkles and drizzle with more sauce.
- Place your favourite baked treat on top or just decorate with pretzels, peanut butter cups, and shards of Divine Chocolate or anything you like.
- Stick a colourful straw in and enjoy!
*Recipe and recipe photography by Divine Chocolate*
*No Payment was received*