The World’s Biggest Coffee Morning is coming up in September and today I am sharing this Rhubarb & Rose Friands recipe with you.
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 35 minutes
Friand tray tin (8cm each)
- 120g rhubarb
- 20g golden caster sugar
- 160 g butter
- 100 g plain flour
- 250 g icing sugar
- 125 g ground almonds
- 6 egg whites
- 6ml vanilla extract
- 10 ml rose water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Slice the rhubarb on a diagonal to 2cm pieces, sprinkle with the caster sugar. Roast for 15 minutes. For the batter first melt the butter in a small saucepan, allow to cool to use in the recipe.
- Grease the friand tin with a little of the melted butter.
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl then stir through the ground almonds. Separate the eggs and retain the egg whites into another large bowl and whisk until they are white and frothy.
- Gently mix the frothy egg whites into the bowl of dry ingredients. Add the melted butter, vanilla extract, and rose water, stir to combine.
- Fill the friand tin until each mould is ⅔ full. Then place a piece of the roasted rhubarb on top and gently press into the batter.
- Bake the friands in the oven for 15 -20 mins minutes, or until they are lightly golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the friands cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve the friands warm or cold with a dusting of icing sugar.
Macmillan’s World’s Biggest Coffee Morning takes place on Friday 30th September 2016.
For more recipes, or to register to hold a coffee morning and help ensure no-one faces cancer alone, visit: Coffee Macmillan