Coconut Matcha Tart (vegan)
Preparation time 7 hours 15 minutes
Cooking time 20 mins
Fluted tartlets (12cm with a removable base.)
How To Make An Coconut Matcha Tart:
You will need:
- 35g jumbo rolled oats
- 35g dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 80g oat flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 5g sea salt
- 115g almond meal
- 30g brown rice flour
- 35 g coconut oil,
- 90ml maple syrup
- 6ml vanilla extract
- 40g cup whole raw cashews
- 150g cups dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 675ml water
- 100ml maple syrup,
- 10g agar flakes
- 5g matcha tea, (plus more to dust)
- 12ml vanilla extract
How To Make:
- Preheat oven to 180°c.
- First melt the coconut oil. Then use a little to thoroughly oil the fluted tartlets and set aside.
- Add oats, coconut, oat flour, cocoa powder and salt to a food processor and blend until oats and coconut are finely ground. Place in a bowl and stir in almond meal and brown rice flour. Stir in the rest of the coconut oil and mix until all the flour is moistened.
- Add maple syrup and vanilla and mix again until the dough forms a ball. If dough is very sticky set it aside for 10 minutes to thicken up. Wash and dry your hands and press the crust thinly and evenly into prepared tart pans. Prick with a fork and bake 18 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To make the filling, soak the cashew nuts for 6 hours in cold water. Drain and rinse cashews, and add them to an upright blender. Add the coconut, fresh water, and blend on the highest speed until smooth.
- Then line a large strainer with a nut milk bag or several layers of muslin. Place the strainer over a heavy base sauce pan. Pour the mixture into the lined strainer and gather the edges of the bag or cloth and gently squeeze out all liquid. Discard the solids. You should have 675ml of coconut-cashew milk, if not make up the difference with more cold water. Rinse out the blender.
- Next place the saucepan of cashew coconut milk over medium heat, add maple syrup and agar flakes and bring to the boil, once boiling whisk constantly. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes or until all agar flakes have dissolved. Whisk the mixture every 5 minutes to prevent sticking.
- Remove from heat, and allow to cool for 10 minutes then pour the mixture into the blender. Add matcha powder and vanilla and blend until evenly combined. Gently pour into each tart pan. Allow to sit for another 15 minutes before transferring to the fridge. Allow to set for 1 hour.
- To serve dust with a little matcha powder.
Macmillan’s World’s Biggest Coffee Morning takes place on Friday 30th September 2016.
For more recipes, or to register to hold a coffee morning and help ensure no-one faces cancer alone, visit: Coffee Macmillan
Guest post: No Payment was received.