Classic coffee and walnut cake anyone?
Preparation time:10 minutes
Total time:30-35 minutes
How To Make A Classic Coffee And Walnut Cake:
- 175g essential Waitrose Salted Dairy Butter, at room temperature
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp cooled strong coffee
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g Waitrose Walnut Halves, 6 reserved for decoration and the rest roughly chopped
For The Frosting:
- 200g essential Waitrose Salted Dairy Butter, at room temperature
- 400g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp strong black coffee, cooled
How To Make:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and line 2 x 20cm loose-bottomed cake tins.
- Using an electric hand whisk, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually whisk in the eggs, then coffee, until well blended.
- Sift over the flour and baking powder and gently fold into the mixture with the chopped walnuts. Divide between the 2 cake tins, level off the surface and bake for 20–25 minutes until just set. Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the frosting, beat the butter until soft and pale then gradually beat in the sugar followed by the coffee.
- Spread the top of one cake with a third of the frosting then place the second cake on top. Smooth the remaining frosting around the sides and top of the cake. Decorate with the reserved walnut halves.
- If you want to treat your mum but are short of time, pick up one of our Seriously Cakes — such as the delicious Roasted Rhubarb & Ginger Cake or buttery Victoria Sponge Sandwich.
*Recipe and recipe photo provided by Waitrose*
*No Payment was received*
What do you think of this Classic Coffee And Walnut Cake?
Fancy trying some?