Golden Cornbread with Smashed Avocado and Crispy Bacon anyone?
Cornbread is very easy to make – and it tastes SO good!
Here it’s served with mashed avocado and crispy bacon, with an extra drizzle of golden syrup.
How To Make Golden Cornbread with Smashed Avocado and Crispy Bacon:
Preparation 20 mins
Cooking 20-25 mins
- 120g fine polenta
- 125g plain flour
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 115g butter
- 60g Tate & Lyle Light Muscovado Sugar
- 2 tbsp Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 large egg
- 100g natural yogurt
- 140ml milk
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
- Lyle’s Golden Syrup, for drizzling
How to make this recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Mix together the polenta, flour, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave, without letting it get too hot. Tip it into a bowl and stir in the sugar and syrup. Add the egg, yogurt and milk and beat well. Stir into the polenta mixture until combined, though avoid over-beating.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until set and golden, with slightly crispy edges. Use a fine skewer to check that it is cooked through. Cool slightly before cutting into pieces.
- For the topping, grill the rashers of streaky bacon until crisp. Meanwhile, mash the avocados. Serve the cornbread with mashed avocado and streaky bacon, drizzled with a little Lyle’s Golden Syrup.
Cook’s tip: Cornbread freezes well, so why not freeze half for another day? Thaw, then warm through in a low oven for a few minutes before serving.
This recipe is made using Lyle’s Golden Syrup, for more delicious recipes visit Lyles Golden Syrup.
No payment was received.