Homemade Mince Pies.
Homemade mincemeat is absolutely delicious and this version is very quick and simple to make.
The mincemeat and pastry recipe can also be used to make a large tart, which works very well as a Christmas dessert served with ginger ice cream or brandy flavoured crème anglaise.
How To Make Homemade Mince Pies:
For The Pastry:
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 140g/5oz butter, cut into cubes
- Pinch of salt
For The Mincemeat:
- 1 apple
- 85g/3oz sultanas
- 85g/3oz raisins
- 45g/1½ oz currants
- 85g/3oz dried cranberries
- 45g/1½ oz flaked almonds
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Grated zest ½ orange
- 1 ½ tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsp whisky or brandy
- 55g/2oz melted butter
- 1 ripe banana
Homemade Mince Pies Method:
- Make the pastry by sifting the flour into a large bowl. Add the butter and salt and rub in until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add approximately 5 tablespoons of ice cold water. Bring together to a ball of dough adding a little more water if necessary. Flatten into a circle and wrap in cling film. Chill for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash and grate the apple, including the skin. Put into a bowl and add the sultanas, raisins, cranberries, almonds, lemon zest, orange zest, mixed spice, whisky and melted butter. Mash the banana and add to the mincemeat.
- Roll out two thirds of the pastry and cut into medium sized circles using a pastry cutter. Line a 12 hole patty tin with the pastry. Place a spoonful of mincemeat into each pastry case. Roll out the rest of the pastry and cut into stars. Top each open pie with a star lid. Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/Fan oven 170˚C/gas mark 5.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 15-20.
- Cool slightly and remove carefully from the tin. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Mincemeat and mince pies recipe c/o Fiona Burrell, Principle at the Edinburgh New Town Cookery School.
Are you looking for more Christmas recipe ideas?
Find more here: Christmas.