Persimon® and Pomegranate Pavlova Star. This gorgeous meringue dessert is made with whisked egg whites and caster sugar, piped or spread out into a star shape. It’s slowly baked, then topped with whipped cream, sliced Spanish Persimon® and pomegranate seeds.
Perfect for a dinner party, Christmas or a weekend treat.
How To Make A Persimon® and Pomegranate Pavlova Star:
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking: 2 hours
- 2-3 drops vegetable oil
- 4 large egg whites
- 225g white caster sugar
- 200ml double cream 2 Spanish Persimon®, sliced
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- Mint leaves, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 140°C, fan oven 120°C, Gas Mark 1. Draw a large star shape on a sheet of nonstick baking parchment. Place a couple of drops of oil onto a baking sheet, and put the baking paper on top (the oil will help to prevent it from moving).
- Put the egg whites into a large grease-free bowl. Using a hand-held electric whisk with scrupulously clean beaters, whisk the egg whites on full speed until they hold their shape. Gradually add the caster sugar, whisking well on high speed until the egg whites are very stiff and glossy.
- Heap half the meringue onto the baking paper and spread it out with a palette knife or the back of a spoon into an even layer over the star shape. Spoon the remaining meringue into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe a border all around the edge. (If you prefer not to pipe the meringue, just heap teaspoonfuls around the edge).
- Immediately transfer the pavlova to the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 1½-2 hours. The meringue is ‘dried out’ rather than cooked at this low temperature. It won’t harm the meringue if you open the door at any time. Cool the meringue completely, then carefully remove the lining paper. Transfer it to a serving plate.
- Whip the cream in a large chilled mixing bowl until it holds its shape. Spoon it on top of the meringue and spread it out to cover the centre up to the border. Arrange the Persimon® on top and sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds. Serve, decorated with mint sprigs.
Cook’s Tip: You can make the meringue pavlova base a few days before you need it – just store it in an airtight tin in a cool place.
Recipe c/o Spanish Persimon