Persimon® Star Scones. This is an easy, homely way to serve Persimon® – chopped up in a simple scone recipe, then served with Persimon® conserve and clotted cream.
How To Make Persimon® Star Scones:
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking: 18 minutes for scones,
20 minutes for conserve
You will need:
- 450g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 110g butter, chilled and diced
- 75g caster sugar
- 2 Spanish Persimon®, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 large egg Approx.
- 260ml milk
- Clotted cream, to serve
- 2 Spanish persimons, trimmed and chopped
- 120g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 small lemon
How To Make:
1 Preheat the oven to 200°C, Fan Oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6. Put a baking sheet into the oven to preheat. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips, until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in the sugar and chopped Persimon®. Beat the egg in a measuring jug, then add milk to bring the liquid up to 300ml, mixing well. Add just enough of this to the rubbed-in mixture to make a soft (not sticky) dough – there will be some liquid left.
3. Bring the mixture together and turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Flour your hands a little, then knead the dough lightly for a few moments. Wrap in cling film and chill for 10-15 minutes.
4. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to about 3cm thick. Use a star-shaped cutter to stamp out shapes. Avoid twisting the cutter when doing this, just press it straight through the dough. Gather any trimmings together, re-roll and cut out more scones.
5. Arrange the scones quickly onto the preheated baking sheet. Brush the surface of each one with the remaining egg and milk mixture. Bake for 15-18 minutes towards the top of the oven, until well-risen and golden brown. Cool for a few moments, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
6. While the scones are baking and cooling, make the Persimon® conserve. Put the Persimon® into a saucepan with150ml water, the lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar. Heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. The liquid should almost evaporate to give a jam-like consistency. Cool, then serve on warm scones, with clotted cream.
If you don’t have a star-shaped cutter, just use a round one with a diameter of 6-7cm.
Recipe c/o Spanish Persimon