45+ Lifestyle Blogger From Nottingham

Bikes Through The Decades With Halford’s…

How quick has this year gone by!? Christmas is now just around the corner. The children are nearly a week into their Advent Calendars and the countdown is on for the big day. As usual we are thinking of last minute gifts. Me and Hubby have also started reminiscing about Christmas presents that we did or didn’t receive. We both agree that one of the all time classic presents is a child’s first bike.

Can you remember your first bike? My first one was a beautiful shiny blue bike with a bright pink elephant on the seat, a 3 wheeled trike!! In fact my Mum and Dad still have it in their shed after all these years!! How cool.

My all time favourite bike as a child though, was the ultimate style classic from the 70s; The Chopper.

Being a 70’s child everyone used to have Choppers, Grifters or the Strika all made in Nottingham I believe. and I was so envious of them. One of my babysitters at the time, always used to have her Grandson popping by on his Chopper. I remember having a “backie” on it, and being very worried I would get told off because it said no passengers. He must have known I loved the bike because as he got that bit older and got the Raleigh Burner he gave me not one but two choppers. An orange one and a red one. I did feel proper grown up on them. Like a miniature Hells Angel!! I really wish I knew what happened to those bikes now!! They certainly aren’t in Mum and Dads shed. I checked.!!

With that classic present in mind, at Halfords we have wound back the clock and are showcasing some of the most iconic bikes of all time. From the bikes that became part of popular culture to traditional favourites to the almost-forgotten gems. “Bikes through the Decades”

Take a trip down memory lane with iconic bikes through the decades and relive the memory of your first bike with Halfords.

Were you a 50’s child? Did you own a cruiser? The classic paper boy bike.
A 60’s child? Did you get chance to  get your hands on a limited edition Bowden Spacelander? With only 544 shipped worldwide before production was halted, it made them the most sought after bicycles of this decade.
Were you like me; a 70’s child who owned the classic Chopper.
A 80’s child and own one of the cool Raleigh Vektar’s or Burner’s.
The 90’s child who owned a BMX? My oldest son still has his!!
2000’s and owned a Fixie bike?

*This post is commissioned by Halfords. All thoughts are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands I work with*

46 responses to “Bikes Through The Decades With Halford’s…”

1. vanity andme says:

The good old Chopper! I was never allowed one ! My dad thought they were dangerous! Boo !www.vanityandmestyle.com

2. Please may I? says:

OMG I loved my chopper! I remember doing stunts on it, riding off a mini ramp which of course get 10ft high to me. Soon much fun.Now days I have a beautiful blue Victoria Pendleton bike which was intact purchased from Halfords. x xhttp://pleasemayi.blogspot.co.uk

3. Tamar SB says:

How cool! I always had a mountain bike as a kid.

4. Deborah Nicholas says:

I was more a roller skate girl – I honestly cant even remember what my first bike was lol

5. Jon says:

Wow The chopper! That brings back some memories! I've got loads of pictures of me on one as a kid!

6. Talya says:

I never had a chopper although it was my absolute dream to have one…!

7. kerry norris says:

Ahhh the Raleigh chopper! I never had one but I was desperate to have one lol x

8. Renna Creighton says:

I had a Raleigh bike and then a brilliant mountain bike which lasted forever.

9. ana de jesus says:

The Rayleigh's bike looks like so much fun got to love the 70's. What a great look at bikes through the ages.

10. Jordanne Lee says:

I'm a 90's kid but I also had a chopper! I loved it so much. I always remember riding my bike everywhere, once my chopper had no more life left in it though I did get the BMX bike, I loved all the stunts I would do with friends, learning new things with it! Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

11. Jayne SMABL says:

What a blast from the past! I had a mountain bike and loved it! I did some miles around our street on that lol 🙂 x

12. Dean B says:

Oh dear, I don't remember my first bike at all! But we just bought T a bike from Halford's on her sixth birthday last August 🙂

13. Emmie, Unsigned says:

I have had SO many bikes over the years – we used to get a new bike practically every year for a while. All I really remember from my first bike is the massive fall I took on it and the scar I still have on m knee from the horrendous cut I got LOL. I remember a girl who lived opposite me had a chopper and I always wanted one… we were lucky but not that lucky LOL. Emmie xowww.unsignedmeblog.co.uk

14. Sharon says:

I was born in the late 1960s so it was a chopper for me! The seat was a lot more comfortable than the one I have on my current bike too!

15. Lisa Graham says:

I was an 80's child. I always wanted the streamers off the handle bars and those little coloured beads that went on the wheel spokes. Super cool!

16. Clairejustine oxox says:

Hehe, aww lovely 🙂

17. Five Little Doves says:

I was an 80s child and I had those coloured beads on my wheels too! I remember you could get them free with Monster Munch if you saved up enough packets!

18. Angela Milnes says:

This is really interesting. I remember my uncles bikes in the 80's . They were so strange looking!

19. Stella Olojola says:

Fab post. Never had a proper bike but my kids are in love with theirs already.

20. Ella Ivoire says:

Is it too bad that I'm literally the only one that never learned how to ride a bike??

21. oneyummymummy says:

wow my older brother had a chopper and i always just to try and sneak a go on it such a fab bike

22. Kara Guppy says:

My first bike was a silver number and I was really excited by it having 3 gears lol

23. Laura Hartley says:

This is so cool! My dad was born in the 40s, I must ask him what he sort of bike he had when he was younger!

24. Zena's Suitcase says:

I always wanted to own a chopper, but I think they just went out of fashion by the time I was old enough for one. They were awesome though

25. Margarett Murphy says:

Ha! Can remember the chopper. Never has one though.