Fancy trying Ian Cumming’s Merry Berry Steam Pudding out?
A blueberry steamed pudding oozing with a cranberries and cordial topping.
- 150ml Belvoir Blackcurrant & Blueberry Cordial
- 150g cranberries (fresh or frozen but if frozen defrost first)
- 120g honey
- 120g unsalted butter
- 120g light brown sugar
- generous pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 120g self-raising flour
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 75g blueberries
- 1tbsp milk
- Put the cranberries and cordial in a fairly large saucepan and gently bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes until the cranberries have softened and quite a bit of the liquid has boiled away. Add the honey and mix it in.
- Butter a 1.2 litre pudding basin.
- Pour the berry and honey mixture into the basin.
- Beat the butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating thoroughly between each one.
- Sieve in the flour and the mixed spice and gently fold it in.
- Carefully fold in the milk and then finally the blueberries. Pour this on top of the berry mixture in the basin.
- Fill a large pan with enough water to come half way up the side of the pudding bowl. Bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, take a large piece of baking parchment, put a pleat in it and put it over the pudding. Then take a piece of tin foil, put a pleat in that and put that over the parchment. Tie some string around the rim and then use some extra string to make a handle in order to lift the pudding into the pan of boiling water.
- Boil for 2 hours, occasionally checking that there is sufficient water in the pan.
- Use the string handle to remove the pudding from the pan. Snip off the string and remove the foil and parchment. Place a plate on top and carefully invert it all.
- Serve immediately with custard, cream or ice cream.
Recipe c/o Belvoir Fruit Farms.