Sweet Onion and Olive Focaccia. Making your own bread can be easier than you think and, with our sweet onions, this focaccia will be a tasty Christmas treat for all.
Ready in 45 mins, plus proving and resting
How To Make Sweet Onion and Olive Focaccia:
- 600g strong white flour
- 50g pitted black olives, chopped
- 6 Haywards Sweet Onions, sliced, plus 6 halved, to garnish
- 7g fresh rosemary, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 14g fast action yeast
- 350ml warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle and greasing
- Sea salt
- Balsamic vinegar and olive oil, to dip
How To Make:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, olives, onions, rosemary, yeast and a pinch of sea salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the warm water and oil. Combine with a wooden spoon or spatula in a figure of eight motion.
- Knead the mixture by folding the mixture into itself over and over again. Do this for 10 mins, then take it out of the bowl, stretch it out by pulling it out between each hand. Place on a lightly floured surface and shape into a ball. Place back into the bowl, drizzle with olive oil and cover the bowl with cling film. Leave to prove (rise to double its size) for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Grease a flat tray with oil, then remove the cling film from the bowl and knock the air out of the dough with your fist. On a lightly floured surface, knead for 5 mins, then shape and stretch the dough into a rectangle shape and place on the prepared tray. With the end of a teaspoon or your thumb, make 12 incisions in the dough and fill with the halved sweet onions. Sprinkle with sea salt and cover with a clean damp tea towel and leave to prove in a warm place for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7, then bake for 20 mins, until risen and golden. Allow to rest for 5 mins and serve with balsamic vinegar and olive oil to dip in
Recipe c/o Haywards Sweet Onions.
What do you think of this recipe?
Fancy making some?