Are you looking for any Christmas side recipe ideas?
Today I am sharing a Sweet Potato, Red Cabbage And Butternut Squash Layer recipe for you to try out. How tasty!?
This recipe is a delicious and healthy side dish for the festive period. It can be prepared, cooked, frozen, defrosted and even reheated in the microwave, giving you time to open presents on Christmas day.
How To Make Sweet Potato, Red Cabbage And Butternut Squash Layer:
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Product: Pyrex 1.6L casserole dish
- 750g sweet potatoes
- 750g butternut squash
- ½ red cabbage (approx. 450g)
- 40g sugar
- 50g raisins
- 15g butter
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Black pepper to taste
- Grated rind ½ orange
- 1 thick slice wholemeal bread, cut into small cubes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 15g Chia seeds
How To Make:
1. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes and butternut squash and cook in 2 separate pans with enough lightly salted water to just cover. Bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Drain well.
2. Slice the red cabbage thinly and cook in a pan with the lid on with the sugar and raisins and 100ml water for approx. 10 minutes until tender.
3. Preheat the oven to Gas 5, 190 C.
4. Mash the sweet potato with the butter, cumin and black pepper, and then put into the base of the Pyrex casserole dish, leveling the surface. Drain the red cabbage of any juice and layer on top of the potato.
5. Mash the butternut squash with the orange rind and layer on top of the red cabbage.
6. Mix together the topping ingredients and scatter over the top of the butternut squash. Cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until the bread is crunchy and golden brown.
Recipe c/o Pyrex.
What do you think of this Sweet Potato, Red Cabbage And Butternut Squash Layer recipe?
Fancy trying it?