I am a big fan of cheese coleslaw and today I have this Davidstow® 3 Year Special Reserve Vintage cheddar BBQ Coleslaw to share with you.
Created by Lee Westcott for Davidstow. Lee says “This dish takes me back to a family holiday we had in Cornwall. I have great memories of my brother and I preparing a BBQ by the beach in Constantine Bay and this salad would have been the perfect accompaniment.”
Davidstow® 3 Year Special Reserve Vintage cheddar BBQ Coleslaw:
This recipe is great for a summer BBQ. It makes a perfect accompaniment to a cheese board and gives you an exciting twist to your regular coleslaw.
- ¼ whole cabbage, or 1 small cut in ½
- 4 red onions, peeled and cut in half through the root
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced lengthways into 4 equal pieces.You can use a Japanese mandolin slicer for this if you have one available.
- 3 Braeburn apples
- ½ small bunch tarragon, picked, washed and chopped
- ½ small bunch parsley, picked washed and chopped
- ½ small bunch dill, picked, washed and chopped
- 100ml olive oil
- 50ml Tarragon vinegar, this can be bought from most well-known supermarkets
- Salt and pepper
- 30g poppy seeds
- Davidstow® 3 Year Special Reserve Vintage cheddar to taste, finely grated
1. Cut the white cabbage into quarters, place onto a hot BBQ until lightly charred and remove. Once cool, cut the woody core from each quarter.
2. Repeat step 1 with the onions and carrots.
3. Once barbecued, shred all the vegetables into thin strips, in a slaw style manner.
4. For the dressing add tarragon vinegar to a bowl and slowly whisk in the olive oil.
5. Peel and grate the apples, add to the vegetables, followed by the chopped herbs.
6. Toss the thinly sliced vegetables with the dressing, poppy, salt, pepper and finally the Davidstow® 3 Year Special Reserve Vintage cheddar.
Recipe and images courtesy of: Created by Lee Westcott for Davidstow®