Smoothies are a great way to start the day.
This summery version is a complete breakfast in a glass.
Not only are oats and nuts blended in the smoothie but it is topped with the delicious crunchy oats too.
Full of slow release carbohydrates and protein, this is a fantastic option when you are short of time and will help keep you feeling energised and focused through the morning.
Strawberries are packed with vitamin C and also rich in fibre to help balance blood sugar levels and support digestive health.
The oats and strawberries are rich in B vitamins essential for energy and supporting the body during times of stress while the milk provides plenty of protein to keep blood sugar levels stable and a feeling of fullness.
You can also use the oat topping as the basis of a crunchy muesli – simply add some dried fruit and store in an airtight container. This would also make an ideal pre and post-exercise shake too.
How To Make a Strawberry and Lime Smoothie:
Suitable for vegetarians, Gluten and wheat free, Dairy Free (use milk alternative)
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3-4 minutes
Storage: Store the oat topping in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks. Smoothies are best drunk once prepared but will keep it in the fridge for 4-5 hours.
- 60g / 2oz Nairn’s gluten free porridge oats
- 1tbsp desiccated coconut
- 30g / 1oz macadamia nuts, chopped
- 15g / ½ oz cashew nuts, chopped
- 15g / ½ oz pumpkin seeds
- 1tbsp ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 400g / 12 oz fresh or frozen strawberries
- Juice of 2 limes
- 500ml / 17floz / 2 cups milk or milk alternative
1. Heat a non-stick frying pan and toast the oats for 2-3 minutes until golden. Add the nuts and seeds and toast for a further minute.
2. Pour into a bowl and add the flaxseed and cinnamon.
3. Place the strawberries in a blender with the lime juice and milk. Blend until smooth. Add 6tbsp of the oat mixture and blend again until smooth. Pour into glasses and top with a spoonful of the oat mixture.
4. Best served with a spoon.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Carbohydrates: 23.7g of which sugars 12.4g
Total Fat: 18.2g of which saturates 5.2g