Fancy making this healthy and tasty Cavolo Nero & Leek soup recipe?
Health Benefits of Cavolo nero, from nutritionist Fiona Hunter:
- Like kale, cavolo nero boasts a string of health benefits which firmly place it in the ‘superfood’ category.
- Cavolo nero is high in vitamins K, A and C
- It is also high in lutein, calcium and folic acid
- Cavolo nero contains manganese, copper and iron.
Five Reasons to make Leeks one of your Five-a-Day from nutritionist Fiona Hunter:
- Energy – Leeks contain B vitamins which help the release of energy.
- Gut Health – Leeks contain a type of fibre called Frucooligosaccharides (FOS) which can encourage the growth of friendly bacteria in the gut.
- Bone Health – Leeks contain Vitamin K which is important for bone health.
- Nervous System – Vitamin B6 plays a role in the normal functioning of the nervous system.
- Immune System-Leeks contain B vitamins which help support the immune system
How To Make Creamy Cavolo Nero & Leek Soup With Cavolo Nero Crisps:
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
You will need:
- 200g pack sliced Cavolo Nero
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 500g Leeks, sliced
- 1 potato, diced (200g)
- 1-litre vegetable stock
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Toss 75g Cavolo Nero with half the oil and paprika, season and spread out onto a large baking tray, roast for 10 minutes until crisp.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large saucepan and fry the remaining Cavolo Nero, leeks and potato for 5 minutes. Add the stock, cover and simmer for 10 minutes then add the milk. Using a stick blender, process to give a coarse texture.
- Divide between 4 bowls and top with the Cavolo Nero crisps.
- For a vegan option, replace the milk with soya or almond milk.
Recipe and image courtesy of Discover Cavolo Nero & Discover Leeks
What do you think of this Creamy Cavolo Nero & Leek Soup With Cavolo Nero Crisps recipe?
Fancy making some?