Spring is just around the corner and today I am sharing this Gluten Free Semolina and Raspberry Layer Cake with Raspberry and Lemon Syrup recipe with you. A perfect Mothers Day, Spring or Easter cake by Lisa Faulkner for Belvoir Fruit Farms.
How To Make A Gluten-Free Semolina and Raspberry Layer Cake with Raspberry and Lemon Syrup:
For The Cake:
- 300ml sunflower oil
- 180g maple syrup
- 6 medium eggs
- 250g fine semolina
- 2 tsp baking powder
- zest of 2 lemons
- 60ml Belvoir Raspberry & Lemon Cordial
For The Filling:
- 300ml double cream
- 250g raspberries
- edible flowers to decorate
For The Drizzle Icing:
- 75g icing sugar
- 2tbsp Belvoir Raspberry & Lemon Cordial
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160c/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and base line 3 x 18cm loose bottomed sandwich tins.
- Either with an electric hand whisk or in a stand mixer, whisk together the sunflower oil, maple syrup and eggs until they are light and fluffy (this takes about 5 mins). Stir in the other ingredients and divide between the cake tins. Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Warm the cordial in a pan. When the cakes come out of the oven, prick them all over with a skewer and spoon the syrup over and let it absorb. Let the cakes cook completely.
- Mix the icing sugar with enough of the cordial until you have a thick drizzle icing. Set aside.
- Lightly whip the cream until it is just holding its shape.
- Put one of the cakes on a cake plate, spoon over ½ the cream and scatter with raspberries, top with a second sponge and spread the remaining cream over the top and scatter with raspberries. Top with the final sponge.
- Drizzle the icing all over the top sponge and decorate with edible flowers and a few more raspberries.
Recipe and images courtesy of Belvoir Fruit Farms.
Fancy trying this recipe?
Let me know in the comments below if you get to make one.