How To Make Hot Cross Buns. Hello friends. Do you like to make your own hot cross buns?
Today I am sharing a Delamere Hot Cross Buns recipe for you to try out.
Traditional spiced, sticky glazed fruit buns with a goaty twist. Serve as a classic Easter treat, or enjoy them all year round.
How To Make Hot Cross Buns:
Preparation time: 2.5 hours
Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins
Makes: 12 buns
For the buns:
- 625g/1.3lb strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 45g/1.5oz Delamere Dairy spreadable goats’ butter, plus extra for greasing
- 85g/3oz sugar
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1½ tsp fast-action yeast
- 1 free-range egg
- 275ml/10floz Delamere Dairy goats’ milk (tepid)
- 125g/4oz mixed dried fruit
For The Topping:
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 tbsp golden syrup, gently heated, for glazing
How To Make Hot Cross Buns:
- Sieve the flour, salt and ground mixed spice into a large mixing bowl, then rub in the butter using your fingertips. Make a well in the centre of the mixture, then add the sugar, lemon zest and yeast.
- Beat the egg and add it to the flour with the milk. Mix together to a form a soft, pliable dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Carefully work the mixed dried fruit into the dough until combined. Knead lightly for 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Grease a large, warm mixing bowl with butter. Shape the dough into a ball and place it into the prepared bowl, then cover with a clean tea towel and set aside in a warm place for one hour to prove.
- Turn out the proved dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knock back the dough. Shape it into a ball again and return it to the bowl, then cover again with the tea towel and set aside for a further 30 minutes to rise.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and divide it into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then flatten slightly into a bun shape using the palms of your hands. Cover the buns again with the tea towel and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Grease a baking tray with butter and transfer the buns to the tray. Wrap the tray with the buns on it loosely in greaseproof paper, then place inside a large polythene bag. Tie the end of the bag tightly so that no air can get in and set aside in a warm place for a further 40 minutes to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 240C/475F/Gas 8.
- Meanwhile, for the topping, mix the plain flour with 2 tablespoons of cold water to a smooth paste.
- When the buns have risen, remove the polythene bag and the greaseproof paper. Spoon the flour mixture into a piping bag and pipe a cross on each bun.
- Transfer the buns to the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. As soon as you remove the buns from the oven, brush them with the hot golden syrup, then set aside to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm spread with some lovely Delamere Dairy goats’ butter!
Recipe and image credits: Delamere Dairy’s Spreadable Goats’ Butter.
What do you think of this How To Make Hot Cross Buns post?
Fancy making some?
Here are 6 more Hot Cross Bun recipe ideas: