Wine infused Meringues perfect for Mothers Day and Easter homemade gifts:
I Heart Merlot:
Black fruit aromas, spicy plum, raspberry flavours, medium bodied. A delicious kiss flavoured with fruits of the forest, freeze-dried raspberry and a bit a spice topped with a dried plum slice and dipped in I Heart Merlot caramel.
This is our foolproof meringue mixture. We use this method whenever we make our meringue kisses, giant meringues, pavlovas or decorative festive meringues! Our mixture is so easy to remember a 2:1 ratio of sugar and egg whites.
- 300g caster sugar
- 150g free range egg white
- Deep Pink food colouring
- Deep purple food colouring
- 2 drops of natural forest fruits essence
- 1 tsp of freeze-dried raspberry powder
- pinch of cinnamon
- A handful of dried plums to garnish
For the caramel:
- 100g sugar
- 1 tbsp I Heart Merlot
For the meringue mixture:
- Preheat your oven to 200c.
- Line a small baking tray with baking parchment, pour in the caster sugar and heat it in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Heating the sugar helps to create a glossy, stable mixture.
- Pour the egg whites into a mixer and whisk them slowly, allowing small stabilising bubbles to form, then increase the speed until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Take the sugar out of the oven, and turn oven down to 100’c (leave the door open to help speed this up.) With your mixer on full speed, very slowly spoon the hot sugar into the beaten egg whites, making sure the mixture comes back up to stiff peaks after each addition of sugar.
- Once you have added all the sugar, continue to whisk on full speed until you have a smooth, stiff and glossy mixture.
- You should continue to whisk for at least 5 minutes once sugar has incorporated.
- Feel a bit of the mixture between your fingers; if you can still feel the gritty sugar, keep whisking at full speed until it has dissolved and the mixture is smooth, stiff and glossy.
- Gently fold in 2 drops of the natural forest fruits essence and 1 teaspoon of freeze-dried raspberry powder and a pinch of cinnamon, Gently fold it through the meringue being careful not to deflate the mixture.
- Paint the inside of the piping bag before adding the flavoured meringue with natural food colouring. We usually do about 4-5 spaced out stripes. For the i heart merlot kisses, we painted the bag with deep purple and pink stripes.
- Spoon your meringue into your disposable piping bag and cut the tip off (about a 50 pence size hole). Pipe out your kisses by keeping the bag tight, straight and directly above your baking tray. Squeeze from a 2 cm height from the baking tray and then let go before pulling up to form the lovely peaks.
- Before baking, we have added bits of dried plums to each kiss. Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until the meringue bases come off the parchment paper clean. While the kisses are cooling make your caramel.
- Heat the sugar and the I Heart Merlot in a saucepan over a medium heat until all the sugar has dissolved and turns into a lovely golden copper colour.
- Take off the heat and very carefully (while the caramel is still hot and runny) dip the bases of the kisses into the caramel. Place the kisses back on the parchment to cool. Repeat this for all of the kisses.
Guest post recipe & images courtesy of I Heart Wines