Improving or Moving your Home…

The Move vs Improve Debate. Thinking of moving home? Should I stay or should I go!? If you were in the market for a new home, would you buy something less than perfect, then spend time doing it up? Or would you rather stay in your current home, even if there are things you are not happy with? Or are you hunting for that dream home, that is already perfect? Decisions, Decisions!!

Slater & Gordon Solicitors have a new survey out. It has revealed that 61% of people would rather improve their existing home, rather than move to another property.

It turns out we are a nation of DIY’rs. Here in the UK, we love a DIY project and a spot of home improvement. We would much rather improve what we have, rather than finding that perfect house. (That is why I have been married 20 years!!)

Additionally, over half of the people surveyed (56 percent) would be willing to buy a property that they weren’t completely happy with. Knowing they would need to improve it themselves.

When choosing a new home there are certainly lots of things to think about. The right neighbourhood, enough space, south facing garden the list is endless. What would you look for in a new home? Let me know. As a blogger, I would hope the lights are bright for that perfect selfie. Lights Camera Action!!

The main point of the survey is to highlight the importance of thorough checks. Whether you’re buying, selling or remortgaging.

I do sometimes dream of moving to my perfect house. When you are home 24/7 you can get a little down. A shopping trip usually perks me up. So what makes a house a home?

What makes a home?

Choosing a home is obviously a long-term investment. I was asked: “what would you look for if you were to move home?”.

Great question. It would not be practical to move home at the moment. Our youngest two are settled in school, but who knows in a few years? Why not?

Here are a few things I would be looking for if we decided to look at a new home.

Big City Bright lights:

A home closer to a big City would be nice. Not too far to walk into town for a shopping trip with my Daughter. Perhaps a nice meal with Robbie Williams, sorry with the Hubby. At the moment we have to travel an hour just to get to a big City. So on the outskirts would be nice.

Moving survey:

For 35% of people, location is the most important factor when choosing a new house.

A Smaller House:

Sometimes I get fed up with living in a big house. We collect so much clutter. I often dream of a smaller decluttered house. We got a larger house with having 4 children, but with 2 at University the house seems too big at times.

Moving survey:

For 27% it’s all about the size (number of bedrooms etc).

A Nice Sized Garden:

Our home is quite big but our back garden is small. I would love a nice big garden full of character. A nice flat garden with a bit of a hill at the bottom. A few trees for the birds to sit and sing, maybe an old apple tree with lots of tales to tell, in the corner.

A Conservatory:

A good sized conservatory on the back. Or enough room to have one built. A place to have my morning cup of coffee and dream about what the day will bring. Watching the birds in the trees.

All these things have entered my head over the last few years. Then I find myself looking online trying to find a perfect property. Maybe the ones which are a few million might be, although I will never be able to afford those!!

The survey also found out:

• 56% of people would be willing to buy a home that they weren’t 100% happy with, with the view to improving it themselves.
  • 61% of people claim they would be more likely to improve their home themselves (renovating, painting etc) if they weren’t 100% happy with it as opposed to moving.
  • 52% of people think they will move home again at some point in their lives

I often look at houses that are for sale in different countries. Just to see what kind of house you could get for your money.

How pretty is this home and garden?

Some of the thing that springs to my mind when I am looking through the homes for sale list:

• Not much of a front garden.
  • How horrible is the wallpaper in the room?
  • What colour is that bathroom suit!?
  • How gross is that carpet!?
  • I love that house but the kitchen looks horrid.
  • That wooden floor looks amazing but the door?!
  • That chimney looks so big but I love the house.

Most of the things I don’t like though, I could and would change myself. I would not pay over the odds for any house, no matter how nice. If I could get a similar one cheaper, that was a fixer upper, that would be wonderful.

I once even fitted a kitchen at my old house. It was cheaper doing your own work and I definitely appreciated it more. Some things though are best left to the experts, like major plumbing work for example. Hey, Hubby!!! ( There’s another Hubby DIY disaster story to tell another time!!)

The most important things for me in buying a new house would be, the size, location, garden and price. Everything else I would change to my tastes.

After all perfect might be what I want, however, a challenge would be what I need!

So when daydreaming of moving home, I dream of doing it all up nicely to my tastes:

• Imagine sanding the floors.
  • Scraping that wallpaper off and picking out new curtains.
  • Replacing the kitchen cupboards.
  • Having wardrobes fitted.
  • Dreaming of a walk in wardrobe.

Then…

Next thing I know an afternoon has passed, the children are home from school. Eeek, I best get round with the hoover, to pretend I have been busy all day!!

Over the next few weeks, I am going to improve my own house. Here are a few of my plans:

Front garden/door makeover:

The front of my garden has a bit of a lawn, a small path and a white front door. I want to dig up a little of the grass, plant some pretty flowers, buy some hanging planters and fill them with beautiful coloured flowers. Paint my white front door, turquoise. A little bit of Summer when we arrive home.

Back garden Makeover:

I have no flowers on the back either so I am planning to dig some of the grass up. Summer flowers all round. Paint the old shed in the corner, adding a nice outside table. Maybe a gazebo even some decking? Everything will be refreshed.

Kitchen plans:

I started my kitchen makeover last year. I still have lots to do. I think this will be my first project for Spring. I need to rip out all my old cupboards. Maximise my space with a few new ones, adding hopefully a nice Welsh Dresser. Finishing off the kitchen with a new sink unit, double oven and an American-style fridge freezer. Perfect….

The move or improve survey:

Do you like DIY or would you pay someone to do it for you?

Improving or Moving your Home, what are your thoughts!?

Let me know in the comments below πŸ™‚

About this post:

This post is commissioned but as always, all thoughts are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands I work with.

Claire Justine

Find me on: Web | Twitter | Facebook

1. Me, him, the dog and a baby blog
    30th March 2017 / 9:26 am

We've bought a house that needs a lot doing to it but it's how we afforded to buy!

31st March 2017 / 9:59 am

Thanks lovely, I bet it is so exciting doing it up how you want it to look πŸ™‚

2. Rhian Westbury
    30th March 2017 / 1:26 pm

I would love to buy a house and completely do it up as I love DIY projects x

31st March 2017 / 9:59 am

Thanks Rhian, me too.

3. Heather{Our Life In a Click}
    30th March 2017 / 1:31 pm

You have some great plans for your house. I can't wait to see your kitchen!

31st March 2017 / 10:00 am

Thanks Heather, it is always money that stops me from doing what I want though πŸ™

4. Jen Robertson-Peverley
    30th March 2017 / 1:55 pm

I love to DIY if I have the funds and the time. I hate having to do it because it has to be done. At the moment I'm eyeing up our house and considering all kinds of things, just not getting round to actually doing it. I'm in no hurry to move, and our house isn't perfect by any means, but I think if the perfect house shouted out at me and I was able to do it, I wouldn't hesitate.

31st March 2017 / 10:01 am

Thanks Jen, me too. I never have the spare money at the minute to do all my diy plans πŸ™

5. Laura Beresford
    30th March 2017 / 2:36 pm

We are planning a garage conversion at some point to improve our home. I hate DIY but my partner is quite keen. We moved in about 20 months ago but have barely changed anything except the garden to make more children friendly.

31st March 2017 / 10:01 am

I would love to make my garage into a dinning room, that would be amazing πŸ™‚

6. Janet T
    30th March 2017 / 3:06 pm

My street is full of builders vans all the time. Everyone seems to be renovating or extending.

31st March 2017 / 10:02 am

Thanks Janet, I know what you mean. Some house around here have had some amazing improvements done.

7. MamaMummyMum
    31st March 2017 / 7:20 am

Some great tips here, we're looking to improve our home right now #pocolo

31st March 2017 / 10:02 am

Thanks lovely. Whoo I bet you have some exciting plans πŸ™‚

8. Sunrise and Saturdays
    31st March 2017 / 10:08 am

Food for thought! Our house isn't large but we love it and I would definitely rather improve/extend than go anywhere else πŸ™‚

31st March 2017 / 7:08 pm

That sounds lovely:)

9. Tania Potter
    31st March 2017 / 12:54 pm

I am one of those people who prefer not to have to work on a house after moving in. I don't mind small changes, but would not buy if it needed structural work.

31st March 2017 / 7:10 pm

Thanks for sharing Tania. I wouldn't want to do a too big of diy work.

10. Bear and Cardigan
    31st March 2017 / 1:44 pm

When we were younger we did everything ourselves. We completely refashioned our kitchen. We tiled the bathroom and built cupboards. We also used to do electrics but we have to have an electrician now and as we get older we use trades people more and more. I love my house, I love where I live, just my garden is on a slope. i'd love a bigger, flatter garden

31st March 2017 / 7:11 pm

Thank you lovely. I had a big garden with a slop/big hill on my old house, then moved to a smaller garden. Now I would like something in between both πŸ™‚

11. Let them be small Blog
    31st March 2017 / 4:11 pm

We are thinking of extending our home, if it works out too expensive though I think we will have to move x

31st March 2017 / 7:12 pm

Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚ We needed a bigger house when out 4 was all small but now they are leaving home I would like it a bit smaller so it stays tidy longer πŸ™‚

12. Sarah Hughes
    31st March 2017 / 7:28 pm

I love the plans you have. We are happy with the size of our house, but think eventually we will move so we have a better view. At the moment our view is a carpark!

1st April 2017 / 10:51 am

13. Tooting Mama
    31st March 2017 / 8:27 pm

We bought our family home and once we move back into it we are going to do a couple of improvements starting with the loft extension can't wait!

1st April 2017 / 10:52 am

Oh wow, that sounds great. I always wanted to have a loft extension done at my old house. Not sure there is much room at our house now:)

14. Lindsey Burton-Harrison
    1st April 2017 / 4:58 pm

I am in the same predicament at the moment! Me and my young child, live in a great area, which we rent our 1 bed home, we have a good size garden, but only downside is it is a 1 bed! I am thinking it'd too much to move, but a new palce with a secnd bed would be ideal. But I think i'll speak to the landlord about the possibility of buying, that way I could add a side return?1?!

2nd April 2017 / 9:12 am

Hi Lindsey, it must be a hard decision if you love where you like and are settled too. Hope you find somewhere as nice πŸ™‚

15. Stephanie Moore
    1st April 2017 / 5:28 pm

We try and do everything ourselves, however we really could do with couple more bedrooms and another family space. Building a extension is a bit beyond our capability!!

2nd April 2017 / 9:14 am

Thanks Stephanie, yes I think bits and bobs are good to do yourself but things like this needs a builder. I would love a garage conversion but at the minute it is a bit to expensive for us πŸ™

16. Five Little Doves
    1st April 2017 / 7:35 pm

We are USELESS at DIY! We always get people in or my dad round, haha!

2nd April 2017 / 9:14 am

Hehe, I wish my dad lived closer to help πŸ™‚

17. Alison Rost
    2nd April 2017 / 3:45 am

My husband and I have thought about moving (off and on) for the past few years. There are some cosmetic things that we need to do to the house we have now. Plus it's a little too big for us .. but the problem is we love our neighbors too much to be very far away. It's a really good problem to have!

2nd April 2017 / 9:15 am

Aww, good neighbours are sometimes hard to find. I remember leaving our last neighbour. A old lady who loved us all. She was so sad when we moved πŸ™

18. Elizabeth O.
    2nd April 2017 / 5:23 am

It is a huge debate, why move when you can improve your home, right? But there are so many factors to consider. I would rather not move if my home has the best location for the kind of lifestyle that I have. But if it's not a perfect fit then I'd rather find a place that suits my life.

2nd April 2017 / 9:17 am

Yes I agree Elizabeth. I love where I live but wish it was closer to a big city for more things to do. It is a bit quiet around here but I think we should make more of an effort sometimes too πŸ™‚

19. kerry norris
    2nd April 2017 / 8:47 am

I need more bedrooms in our house and if we ever move again a bigger garden is top priority for us x

2nd April 2017 / 9:18 am

Thanks Kerry. I think your priorities change as you children grow, don't they? I need a bigger house when the kids were small but as they leave, one by one a small house would be better now ..

20. Stella Olojola
    2nd April 2017 / 9:40 am

Great post. I don't enjoy moving house. I find it super stressful. We moved to our current house 4 years ago and I love it here. Still a lot of work to do though.

2nd April 2017 / 10:35 am

Thanks Stella. Aww I remember moving. It was so stressful.

21. Rhiannon-Skye Boden
    2nd April 2017 / 12:08 pm

I've never moved house, but I'm looking into moving down to Brighton after university. I live in Leeds now, and moving out of commuting distance to a big city is a huge no-no for me.

22. Kathryn Kinsley
    2nd April 2017 / 5:33 pm

While I'd like to move into a house, we do not make enough to get a good interest rate on the home. I think it will be a few years to save up to get one!

23. Kara Guppy
    3rd April 2017 / 6:45 am

I am desperate to move, we outgrew our house a few years ago but just cannot afford to take the step up, it is so disheartening

24. Memory
    3rd April 2017 / 3:27 pm

I agree with this post. I also think that a lot of the points you mentioned apply to other aspects of life too. Just learned to improve what you have now instead of always looking for something new. I have been working on a lot of home improvements to make my space even better.

25. Margarett Murphy
    5th April 2017 / 11:21 am

Sounds like you have some great plans ahead. Good luck with the makeover.

26. Jayne SMABL
    6th April 2017 / 8:13 am

Fab plans! I love starting new projects around the house and garden. We are moving shortly and I'm already looking forward to starting new themes, jobs etc πŸ™‚

27. Morgan Prince
    21st April 2017 / 2:30 pm

I don't like all the work that comes with DIY, however the Hubby and I have been doing lots of improvements to the house lately. It's hard work but the house looks so much better once it's done. We started with my office, went on the landing and the entrance downstairs. It's always great to do up your house. I'd do that for ages before thinking about moving, I love our house!Thanks for linking to #Pocolo Claire. xx

28. Stephanie Robinson
    21st April 2017 / 9:35 pm

I'm surprised it's only 6% of us if I'm honest. It's so expensive to move that I think that's a big prohibitor. I also think so of it is inherited – some families move a lot, some don't. Mind didn't and I haven't either! Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo x

29. Industrial Furniture
    11th June 2018 / 11:28 am

I just love these designs. These pictures are beautiful and classy. Thank you for sharing DIY and decorating ideas and inspiration.