Happy Good Friday.
Are you planning to do any baking this week?
Today I have a California Raisin Spicy Simnel Cake recipe to share with you. Fancy making one?
Serving: Makes 1 cake, serves 12
How To Make A California Raisin Spicy Simnel Cake:
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 12g glycerine
- 5 eggs beaten
- 400g California Raisins
- 50g California Raisin paste
- 75g glace cherries
- 50g mixed peel
- 100ml California Raisin Juice
- 300g plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 250g white marzipan
- 25g apricot jam sieved
- 1 x 250g ready-to-roll icing
How to make:
1. Cream butter, sugar, glycerine and raisin paste, add the beaten eggs slowly.
2. Add raisin juice and fruit, fold in flour, mix well, place half in a greased and papered round 9-inch cake tin.
3. Roll out one-third of the marzipan round and place on top add rest of mix and make a dent in the centre to allow even rise in the cake.
4. Bake 1-2 hours at 300 degrees test cake with a cocktail stick if it comes out clean it’s cooked.
5. Turn out on to a cooling wire allow to get cold.
6. Remove paper, brush top with warm apricot jam, roll out icing and place on top.
7. Roll out the reserved marzipan to a rectangle about 9 x 6 inches (23 x 15 cm), then cut it into 12 long strips about ½ inch (1 cm) wide for the lattice topping.
8. Pre-heat the grill, when hot, brush the marzipan strips with the egg yolk and place the cake under the grill, about 4 inches (10 cm) from the heat.
9. For decoration tie a ribbon around the middle of the cake.
Recipe and image courtesy of California Raisins
Fancy making this California Raisin Spicy Simnel Cake?
Let me know if you get to make one of these in the comments below.