Hello, and welcome back to I wasn’t Expecting That. Today’s post is:
How To Make Jersey Royal Pasty with Quick Tomato Jam…
Now, was you expecting that!? Ha!
Pasties: Makes 6
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
Quick Tomato Jam: Makes 450g
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 200g strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 200g cooked Jersey Royals, cut into 2cm chunks
- 300g Jimmy’s Farm sausages, cut half lengthways then into 4
- 6-8 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 tbsp of wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- If using shop bought pastry, you will need 3 x 320g ready roll shortcrust pastry.
Quick Tomato Jam:
- 280g jar of sunblush or semi dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped (reserve 1tbsp of oil)
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 225g can chopped tomatoes
- 350g soft brown sugar
- 125ml balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan.
2. Heat the oil in a medium frying pan. Add the onions and cook for 8-10 minutes until softened but not browned. Allow to cool.
3. Mix the cooled onions in a large mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients.
4. Dust the work surface with a little flour and roll the pastry to ½ cm thick. Using a 20cm plate, cut discs of pastry and spoon the filling in a line down the centre of each pastry disc.
5. Brush the edge of the pastry with a little beaten egg. Pull the edges of the pastry up and press together well to seal. Crimp the edge by placing the thumb and forefinger of one hand on one side of the edge, then press into this using the forefinger on your other hand. Crimp down the edge to securely encase the filling.
6. Place the pasties evenly spaced apart onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden-brown.
7. Serve with the quick tomato jam (below).
Quick Tomato Jam:
1. Heat the reserved oil in a medium saucepan and add the onion. Cook for 5-6 minutes until softened slightly.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the jam becomes sticky and most of the liquid has evaporated.
3. Store in sterilised jars, leave to cool before transferring to the fridge, it will keep for 3 months – but must be refrigerated once opened.
- Be sure to well and truly seal the pastry before putting the pasties in the oven, otherwise the filling may escape.
Recipe courtesy of Jersey Royal new potatoes