Fancy making up and trying this watercress salad?
Hot-Smoked Salmon and Watercress Salad with Apple, Green Beans and Crème Fraiche.
Deliciously simple with the crunch of apples and green beans contrasting enticingly with the softer texture of salmon and potato, and all brought together by the power of peppery watercress – a perfect summer salad.
How To Make Hot-Smoked Salmon and Watercress Salad with Apple, Green Beans and Crème Fraiche:
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For The Salad:
- 2 hot-smoked salmon fillets, skin removed
- 100g watercress, roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 200g baby new potatoes
- 100g green beans, trimmed
- 1 Braeburn apple, cored and sliced
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
For The Dressing:
- 4 tbsp crème fraiche
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp cream of horseradish
- Sea salt and black pepper
How To Make:
1. In a large bowl, toss the red onion with the white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
2. Place the new potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water. Add salt and boil until tender (about 20 minutes). Drain and allow to dry for a few minutes. Tip into the bowl with the red onion, season and mix together.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the crème fraiche, horseradish and lemon juice, adding salt and pepper to taste. Mix together with the potatoes and onion.
4. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the green beans for one minute, then drain and cool down with cold water.
5. Divide the potato mixture between two plates. Scatter over the apple slices, green beans and watercress and flake the salmon on top. Serve with a lemon wedge on the side.
Thanks to Watercress for letting me share their tasty recipe. Recipe & photography credits: Lara Jane Thorpe.
Join the conversation and share your thoughts or let me know in the comments below if you get to make this salad.