Happy Bank Holiday Monday and happy 1st day of May! Yeah, I love the month of May as it is my birthday month.
How has your weekend been?
If you’re looking for some quick and simple ways to eat with the beet, try these delicious recipes from fitness trainer Olivia Cooney:
How To Make Beetroot Falafels:
You Will Need:
- 250g pack pre-cooked Sweet Chilli cooked beetroot
- 400g can Chickpeas
- 6 tbs any flour (I use buckwheat)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Large pinch salt and pepper
- Serve with a mixed leaf salad
Garlic Tahini Dressing:
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100ml tahini
- 70ml water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
How To Make:
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
2) Grate the beetroot into a sieve over a bowl or the sink, and squeeze out any excess liquid.
3) Heat the oil in a frying pan and soften the onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in the cumin and paprika, and cook for another minute.
4) Using a food processor, whizz the grated beetroot, onion mix, chickpeas, flour and egg into a smooth paste. Using damp hands, to avoid the mixture sticking, roll into 20 even-sized balls and place on a non-stick baking sheet. Brush lightly with oil and bake for 20–25 minutes until crisp.
5) While the falafels are cooking, make your tahini dressing by mixing everything together in a small bowl until smooth.
6) Serve your falafels with the salad and tahini dressing. They’re also great in a wrap.
How To Make Beetroot Falafels: This recipe has been created by Olivia Cooney in association with Love Beetroot, more tips and recipes can be found at Love Beetroot.
What do you think of these Beetroot Falafels?
Fancy making some?