Fancy making some Peppered Beef and Watercress Rolls with Caramelised Shallot Butter?
Try this for a mouth-watering change to your standard burger!
Don’t discard the barbecue though as you could chargrill the steaks as an alternative cooking method.
The peppery watercress really brings out the flavours of the meat.
How To Make Peppered Beef And Watercress Rolls With Caramelised Shallot Butter:
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
You Will Need:
- 6 crusty bread rolls
- 2 x 150g ribeye steaks
- 3 tsp whole green peppercorns
- 3 tsp whole white peppercorns
- 100g watercress
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic salt
For The Shallot Butter:
- 4 tbsp soft butter, divided
- 2 banana shallots, finely sliced
How To Make:
1. Remove ribeyes from the fridge and allow to come up to room temperature (about 30 minutes). Coarsely chop or grind the peppercorns and mix together. Drizzle steaks with 2 tbsp of olive oil and season with garlic salt. Press the peppercorns on to cover the entire surface of the meat.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Add the steaks, searing for 2.5 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Wrap the meat in foil to keep warm and allow to rest for ten minutes before carving.
3. While the steaks are resting, prepare the shallot butter. In the frying pan used for the steak, heat 1 tbsp of butter. When the butter begins to foam, add the shallots with a pinch of salt and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the shallot is soft and lightly browned and remove from the pan. In a small bowl, mix together the cooked shallots and remaining butter.
4. Slice the bread rolls in half horizontally. Spread the shallot butter generously on both sides. Slice the beef across the grain and fill the rolls, topping with a generous handful of watercress.
Thanks to Watercress for letting me share their tasty recipe. Recipe & photography credits: Lara Jane Thorpe.
What do you think of this Peppered Beef And Watercress Rolls With Caramelised Shallot Butter recipe?
Fancy making some?