Shredded Barbecue Chicken with Black Bean anyone?
Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus marinating time
Cooking time: about 2 ½ hours
How To Make Shredded Barbecue Chicken with Black Bean:
- 1 large chicken about 2 kg
- 250 ml bottle Newman’s Own Original Sticky BBQ Sauce
- 2 onions, halved
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 corn on the cobs
- 400 g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- finely grated rind and juice 1 large lime
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, skin and stone removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
- 12-16 Taco shells and shredded lettuce, to serve
1. Loosen the skin under the breast of the chicken with your fingers, then the legs and remove the skin. Make a few slashes in the flesh and rub all over with half of the BBQ sauce. If time allows you can leave to marinate for a few hours or overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 220°C, Gas Mark 7.
3. Place the onions in the bottom of a large casserole dish, then add the water. Sit the chicken on top and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Put in the oven, then reduce the heat to 150°C, Gas Mark 2.
4. Cook the chicken for 2 hours, remove from the oven, spoon the remaining sauce over the chicken. Increase the oven temperature to 220°C, Gas Mark 7.
5. Return the chicken to the oven, uncovered and cook for a further 20 minutes until golden, alternatively you could brush the chicken with the remaining sauce and place on a hot barbecue, basting with the sauce and turning frequently. Cover with a lid and allow to rest 30 minutes. If barbecuing, return to the casserole.
6. Warm the tacos shells according to pack instructions.
7. Using 2 forks shred the chicken, removing the bones, then stir into the onions and sauce in the casserole dish.
8. Fill the tacos with the shredded lettuce, the salsa, topped with the shredded barbecue chicken.
Recipe and image courtesy of Newman’s Own, makers of sauces and dressing.
Fancy trying this Shredded Barbecue Chicken with Black Bean recipe out?