Whisky & Walnut Cakes. Perfect fo making your Dad on Fathers Day.
Preparation and cooking time: 80 mins
How To Make Whisky & Walnut Cakes:
You Will Need:
For The Cakes:
- 200 g Plain Flour (7 oz)
- Dr. Oetker Baking Powder Sachets x 2 (2 tsp)
- 100 g Walnuts (3 ½ oz) ground
- 175 g Caster Sugar (6 oz)
- Large Eggs x 2 beaten
- 125 g Unsalted Butter (4 ½ oz) melted
- 90 ml Whisky (6 tbsp)
- 45 ml Whole Milk (3 tbsp)
- 125 g Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks’ 72% Extra Dark Chocolate (4 ½ oz)
- 40 g Unsalted Butter (1 ½ oz)
- 6 Portions Walnut halves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4). Lightly grease 6 x mini loaf tins and arrange on a baking tray.
- Sift flour and Baking Powder into a mixing bowl, and stir in the ground walnuts and 100g (3 ½ oz) sugar. Make a well in the centre. Gradually mix in the eggs, melted butter, 45ml (3tbsp) whisky and the milk until to form a well blended, thick batter.
- Divide the mixture between the loaf tins, smooth the tops and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, until risen, firm to the touch and lightly golden.
- While the cakes are cooking, put the remaining sugar in a small saucepan with 45ml (3 tbsp) water. Heat gently, stirring until dissolved, then bring to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining whisky.
- Once the cakes are cooked, skewer each one a few times and spoon over the hot whisky syrup. Leave to cool completely in the tins.
- Turn the cakes out of the tins and place on a wire rack over a board or plate.
- Break the Extra Dark Chocolate into a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add the butter and 15ml (1 tbsp) water. Heat very gently, stirring occasionally, until melted together and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for a few minutes until the mixture is of a thick, coating consistency.
- Carefully spoon the Chocolate icing over the tops of the cakes allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Place a walnut half in the centre of each and leave to stand in a cool place for several minutes to allow the icing to set. Your cakes are now ready to serve and enjoy!
Recipe and image courtesy of Dr. Oetker.
What do you think of these Whisky & Walnut Cakes?
Fancy making some?