Fancy making up this Grilled Mackerel and Watercress Salad with Orange and Chilli recipe?
What could be better for summer but a fresh fish salad? Possibly one to try on the barbecue but whichever way you cook it, it’s delicious!
Serves 4 as a starter or 2 as a main meal
Grilled Mackerel and Watercress Salad with Orange and Chilli:
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 4 mackerel fillets
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 oranges
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tbsp good quality honey
- 85g watercress
- ½ a small red onion, finely sliced
- Pre-heat the grill to medium-high.
- Zest half an orange and mix well with the coriander, black pepper, and half the chopped chilli.
- Lightly score the skin of the mackerel fillets with a sharp knife, being careful not to cut into the flesh. Press the spice mixture into the skin.
- Segment the oranges. Cut off the top and bottom, then cut away any peel and pith using a paring knife. Holding the peeled orange over a bowl, use the paring knife to cut each segment away from the centre. Put the segments to one side and squeeze the remaining orange to release any juice.
- Measure 2 tbsp of the orange juice into a small bowl, then mix the with mustard, honey and remaining chopped chilli.
- Place the mackerel fillet skin side up on a grill tray. Grill for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through with crisp skin.
- While the fish is cooking, divide the watercress among four plates. Scatter with the orange segments and sliced red onion. Drizzle with the orange dressing and top with the grilled mackerel. Serve immediately.
What do you think?
Fancy making this recipe up?
Recipe courtesy of: Make the most of the Summer and enjoy healthy alfresco dining with these and other great salad recipes featuring Watercress. Photography Credits: Lara Jane Thorpe