It is nearly July, how did that happen!?
This week my older boys have arrived home from University and the two younger children will soon be breaking up from school. Time to start planning extra large healthy family meals. A meal out soon becomes expensive if paying for six. So structured Summer meal plans are essential.
Over the last few days, we have been trying out and reviewing some Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference British Gems Baby Potatoes. I had been asked to share a recipe with a veggie based theme.
Something to make up early in the day store in the fridge, where everyone can help themselves to a portion throughout the day. Ultimately making it less work for me. As long as everyone does their own pots! Not likely!!
We are a big fan of Sainsbury’s and we alway buy our new potatoes from here when shopping. However, I had not noticed these British Gems before. Yesterday, I popped some in the oven to roast them with some olive oil and seasoning and they tasted great. So quick and easy to make up too.
I then had to roast some more for my recipe as the first batch was eaten whilst still warm, delicious.
So I made up this salad recipe with some tuna, eggs for protein and lots of tasty spinach.
Sainsbury’s Taste the British Gems Baby Potatoes, Egg & Tuna Spinach Salad:
A light, Summer potato salad with egg, tuna and served on a bed of spinach. Delicious.
Preparation time 15 minutes
Baking Time 25 minutes 8 minutes for eggs.
- 250g Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference British Gems Baby Potatoes
- 1 tsp Dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 8 Lage eggs
- 250g Fresh spinach
- 145g Tin of tuna chunks (optional if vegetarian)
- 100g Feta cheese, crumbled
- Your favourite salad dressing, salad cream or mayonnaise
- Beetroot optional.
How to make Sainsbury’s Taste the British Gems Baby Potatoes, Egg & Tuna Salad:
- Preheat a fan oven to 180°C
- Wash and scrape the skins off the potatoes. Or just wash and leave on skins. Chop into 2 or 3 pieces depending on size. Place onto a baking tray. Drizzle olive oil over them sprinkle the mixed herbs with a little salt & pepper over the potatoes.
- Place in the centre of the oven cook for around 30-33 minutes, turning the potatoes over once or twice to evenly cook. Roast until lightly golden brown.
- While the potatoes are roasting, cook the eggs.
- Boil the kettle and add boiling water to a large pan. Gently lower the eggs into the boiling water, one by one. Simmer the eggs for around 10 minutes, turn the heat off and leave to stand for 2 more minutes. Drain the hot water and fill the pan with cold water to cool the eggs. Peel the eggs and pop on a plate to completely cool. Slice the eggs until cool completely.
- Once the potatoes are cool remove from the oven and put on a cold plate to cool.
- Wash the spinach, pop on a large plate.
- Once the potatoes and eggs are cool pop on top of the spinach, crumble the tuna and add a few crumbles feta cheese.
- Either enjoy slightly warm or refrigerate and serve later. Serve with your favourite salad dressing, mayonnaise or salad cream. To add a bit more colour and flavourings add some beetroot.
It was delicious and got the family seal of approval.
The Hubby helped himself, as he got in from work. Myself and 2 youngest had it after running club. My older boys finished it off late in the evening after a session in the gym. One comment off my Sons was “to be fair it was nice” Great that makes it all worth it!!
I have already been requested to make another load up for the weekend. Not sure if they love it that much? Or that they know I am out most of the day !!!
About the Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference British Gems Baby Potatoes:
New, salad and baby potato season is in full swing, returning into Sainsbury’s stores this season is their Taste the Difference British Gems baby potatoes.
Fresh From The Fields:
Fresh from the field to store in just 48 hours, these baby potatoes are the ‘perline’ variety and are exclusive to Sainsbury’s.
Available in 1kg packs or loose, British Gems are ideal for boiling or steaming, roasting and even baked.
Crush, dice, slice or roast British Gems taste delicious. What’s more, they taste even better with their skins left on, so preparation is minimal- just a quick wash in cold water.
Grown By British Growers:
Their distinctive buttery flavour and golden colour make British Gems the perfect potatoes to take over from Jersey Royals during the summer months.
Sainsbury’s British Gems are grown by British growers, freshly dug every day before being washed and packed and making their way to Sainsbury’s stores within 48 hours.
British Gems are available in Sainsbury’s stores from May until the end of August. These ‘British Gems’ are available from @Sainsbury’s and priced at around £1.50 a pack.
About this post:
This is commissioned post. As always, all thoughts are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands I work with.