Are you enjoying the Summer holiday? Are you keeping busy?
Today I have a malt loaf recipe to share with you: Fancy making a Proper Malt Loaf?
Home-made version of the usual shop bought sticky malt loaf made with malt extract, dried fruit, date syrup and black tea. Make ahead, as the longer you store this loaf the more deliciously sticky it becomes.
Serves: Makes 2 small loaves
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
How to make a Proper Malt Loaf:
What You Need:
- 140ml hot black tea
- 160g Meridian barley malt extract
- 90g unrefined dark muscovado sugar
- 200g raisins
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 250g self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp Meridian date syrup
What You Do:
1. In a bowl combine the hot tea, barley malt extract and sugar, then stir in the raisins and the beaten egg. Leave to soak while you preheat the oven to 150C/130C fan and line two 1lb loaf tins.
2. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder, and then stir in the tea mixture. Spoon into the loaf tin and bake for 40 – 45 minutes until well risen. Remove from the oven and brush the top with date syrup while still warm then leave to cool in the tin. Once cooled, wrap in foil and store in an airtight tin for two days while it develops its characteristic stickiness, or simply tuck in if you can’t wait.
Chef’s tip: Delicious when spread with Meridian Almond Butter.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Meridian Foods.
What do you think? Fancy making A Proper Malt Loaf? Let me know in the comments below if you get to try this recipe out and share your thoughts with us.
Why not try now or Pin on your Pinterest board to try later?