Fancy making up this 21st Century Salad recipe?
This up-to-the-minute salad is full of fantastic flavours and good-for-you ingredients, helping to take you towards your 10-a-day total for fruit and veg.
It’s great for vegans and vegetarians too!
How To Make A 21st Century Salad:
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
- 2tbsp Pura Coconut Oil
- 2 courgettes, sliced diagonally
- 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- 100g bulghar wheat
- 100g green beans, sliced
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g baby kale or young spinach leaves
- 20g whole almonds
- 20g pumpkin seeds
- 3tbsp Pura Vegetable Oil
- 2tbsp cider vinegar
- 1tsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How To Make:
- Heat a char-grill pan or the grill. Brush Pura Coconut Oil lightly over the slices of courgette and pieces of pepper. Char-grill or grill the vegetables, in batches if necessary, until just tender.
- At the same time cook the bulghar wheat in lightly salted boiling water for about 12 minutes, until tender, according to pack instructions. Lightly cook the green beans in simmering water for 3-4 minutes. Rinse both with cold water and drain thoroughly.
- Mix together the courgettes, peppers, bulghar wheat, green beans and cherry tomatoes. Share the baby kale or young spinach leaves between 4 serving bowls and spoon in the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle the almonds and pumpkin seeds on top.
- Make the dressing by mixing together the Pura Vegetable Oil with the cider vinegar, mustard and seasoning. Serve sprinkled over the salads.
- For extra flavour, toast the almonds and pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan over a high heat for 1-2 minutes, shaking the pan so that they toast evenly.
- Try adding char-grilled asparagus to this recipe when it’s in season – just brush the spears with Pura Coconut Oil as before, and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender.
Recipe and image courtesy of Pura Coconut Oil