Happy Thursday lovelies. Fancy trying this Avocado, Peas and Feta on Toast with Poached Eggs recipe anyone?
Love Your Gut Week takes place between 4-10 September and seeks to raise awareness of the importance of good gut health. Love Your Gut has been raising awareness of the importance of gut health for over 18 years by providing expert tips, digestive health news and recipes.
Avocado, Peas and Feta on Toast with Poached Eggs:
Peas are a good source of dietary fibre and some complex carbohydrates which gut microbes thrive on. Avocados also provide dietary fibre and a rich mix of micronutrients needed for health. Sourdough bread is made using a long fermentation method which helps breakdown gluten and some of the carbohydrates to make it more digestible.
Preparation and cooking time: 15 minutes
- 120g frozen petits pois or peas
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice from half a lime juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 80g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 4 thin slices of rye sourdough, toasted
- 4 fresh eggs
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Pea shoots to garnish
- Place the frozen peas in a pan and cook in a little boiling water for five minutes. Drain and leave to cool.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and scrape out the flesh taking care to extract the thin, very green layer next to the skin. Place the avocado, peas and half the lime juice in the bowl of a food processor and blitz for 30 seconds. The mixture does not have to be completely smooth.
- Add the crumbled feta cheese and chopped mint to the bowl of the food processor. Pulse the mixture until well mixed. Season to taste and add more lime juice if needed.
- Spread each slice of toast with a generous amount of pea, avocado and feta mixture. Arrange on a plate, top with a poached egg and garnish the dish with pea shoots.
Recipe and image courtesy of Dr Joan Ransley for Love Your Gut
What do you think of this Avocado, Peas and Feta on Toast with Poached Eggs recipe?
Fancy making some?
Let us know if you get to try some.