Fancy making some of these Star Of Valencia Shortbread?
These easy-to-make shortbread biscuits taste extra special with finely chopped Spanish persimon, pistachios and lime zest. Perfect for Bonfire Night, and a great idea for homemade Christmas gifts. Or why not make some to sell at Christmas fetes?
How To Make Star Of Valencia Shortbread:
Makes approximately 25
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 12-15 minutes
You Will Need:
- 1 Spanish persimon
- 225g butter, at room temperature
- 110g caster sugar
- 325g plain flour
- 25g cornflour
- Pinch salt
- 50g shelled pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 100g icing sugar
- Tiny gold or silver edible stars, for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Line 2 or 3 baking trays with baking paper (if you only have 1 baking tray, cook in batches).
2. Remove and discard the leafy top from the Spanish persimon, then chop the fruit very finely.
3. Beat together the butter and caster sugar until combined, using a wooden spoon. (The mixture doesn’t need to be light). Add the flour, cornflour and salt and work them in with the wooden spoon. Add the persimon, pistachio nuts and lime zest, then use your hand to bring the mixture together.
4. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for a few moments until smooth – but avoid over-handling. Roll out on a lightly floured surface and stamp out biscuits with a star-shaped cutter (or just use a round one). Re-roll the trimmings to make about 25 biscuits in total, placing them on the baking sheets.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes until pale golden brown. Cool on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
6. Mix the icing sugar with a little water to make a thin icing. Drizzle over the biscuits and sprinkle them with the edible stars.
Cook’s Tip: If you have a nut allergy, simply omit the pistachios.
Recipe c/o Spanish Persimon