Selasi Gbormittah, The Great British Bake Off’s break-out star, motorcyclist and banker, has partnered with Vita Coco to provide winter warming recipes with a hint of summer flavour. On Friday I share Selasi Ridiculously Good Coconut Cornbread recipe and today I am sharing another tasty recipe.
Fancy making some Lollipop Coconut Chicken?
Lollipop Coconut Chicken:
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp garlic granules
- 1 ½ tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch of ground pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 stock cube
- 2 tbsps Vita Coco Coconut Oil
- 200g bag of breadcrumbs
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 2-3 eggs, beaten and seasoned
- Salt and pepper
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 5 tbsps. honey
- Pinch chilli flakes
Lollipop Coconut Chicken Method:
1. Clean and wash chicken in cold water. Neatly chop off the end bone, creating a perfect handle for later.
2. Season with salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, parsley and onion granules.
3. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge (optional). Cook with 100ml water on medium heat for 15-20 mins. Cut six thin strips of foil and wrap around the bone handle of the chicken.
4. When ready, in a large bowl mixed the crumbs and coconut with the salt and pepper and paprika and set aside.
5. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
1. Pre-heat the oven at 180 fan.
2. Add 1 tbsp. of the Vita Coco Coconut Oil into a baking tray baking tray or cast iron pan and place in the oven to melt.
3. One at a time, pick up a chicken piece, dip in the beaten egg until well coated and then dip in bread crumbs. Dip the same chicken in egg again and then again in breadcrumbs (Double coating). Repeat this for the remaining pieces of chicken.
4. When ready bake in your tray or cast iron pan for 15 minutes. Take the chicken out of the oven at this point and gently drizzle the second tbsp. of coconut oil all over the chicken and bake for another 15 mins. This should be ready at the point.
1. In a large wok or deep frying pan, add approx. 250-300ml Vita Coco Coconut Oil and heat.
2. Using a set of tongs, place one chicken in the hot oil and fry for 5-10 minutes on each side until golden brown. Do this one at a time with each chicken.
3. When ready place neatly on a chopping board, remove the foil and garnish with lime drizzle, chopped chilli and parsley.
Recipe and image courtesy of Vita Coco.
What do you think of this Lollipop Coconut Chicken recipe?
Fancy making some?
Share your thoughts in the comments below ↓