Happy Tuesday. Brr, it is freezing around here. The snow is still here but it is turning into ice. It has a real Christmas feel to it though. I went out walking with Mollie today and took some real Christmas style photos of the snow in the woods, it was beautiful.
Roasted Winter Squash with Watercress Crisps and Brown Butter anyone? Are you looking for some Christmas side recipes?
No meal is complete without vegetables on the side – look no further than this recipe for delicious nutty flavoured roasted squash finished with crunchy watercress crisps.
Delicious and a perfect side recipe for your Christmas dinner or any Sunday roast.
How To Make Roasted Winter Squash with Watercress Crisps and Brown Butter:
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2kg mixed squash, scrubbed
- 24 watercress leaves picked from stalks
- Salt and pepper
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the butter in a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat until the butter is browned and has a nutty aroma. Be careful not to overdo it or the butter will burn.
2. Cut in half and deseed the squash, then cut into slices 2cm thick.
3. On a baking tray, drizzle the squash with the brown butter, season with plenty of salt and pepper, and toss to coat thoroughly. Roast for about 25 minutes, turning halfway through. The squash should be tender and golden around the edges.
4. Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan. Fry the watercress leaves in two separate batches until crisp and remove using a slatted spoon. Place on kitchen towel to drain.
5. To serve, pile the squash on a serving dish and scatter with the watercress crisps.
Recipe courtesy of:
For these and other tempting watercress recipes, visit Watercress.
Recipe photography credits: Lara Jane Thorpe
What do you think of this Christmas side dish?
Fancy making this Roasted Winter Squash with Watercress Crisps and Brown Butter Recipe?
We would love to hear your thoughts, please share them in the comments below ↴