Izy’s Courgette, Basil And Feta Baked Eggs. Speciality egg brand Heritage Breeds have teamed up with food blogger Izy Hossack and bake-off star Edd Kimber to create some delicious recipes.
Today I am sharing one of them;
How To Make Heritage Breeds and Izy Hossack’s Courgette, Basil And Feta Baked Eggs:
Prep time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
How To Make Izy’s Courgette, Basil And Feta Baked Eggs:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 3 medium courgettes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100g frozen spinach
- 4 Heritage Breeds Royal Legbar eggs
- 3 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- 30g feta cheese
- a handful of basil leaves
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the onion to the pan with a pinch of salt and cook until softened – about 5 minutes.
2. Slice 2 of the courgettes into coins about 2mm thick. Add to the pan with the softened onion and another pinch of salt then sauté on medium-low, until golden all over – about 15 minutes.
3. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 3 minutes just to make sure the garlic is cooked through.
4. Remove the contents of the pan to a 20cm pie tin (or oven proof frying pan) – you’re going to be baking the eggs in this.
5. Return the empty pan to the heat. Coarsely grate the last courgette and add that to the pan on the heat. Cook for 2 minutes just to soften then remove to the pie tin/frying pan with the other vegetables.
6. Return the pan to the heat and add the frozen spinach with 60ml of water. Cover with a lid or large plate and leave for the spinach to defrost on a low heat for 5-7 minutes. Remove the lid (careful of the steam!) and take the pan off the heat.
7. Spoon the spinach into the pie tin/frying pan containing the other vegetables.
8. Make 4 little wells in the mixture and crack the Heritage Breeds Royal Legbar eggs into each well. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper and the grated parmesan.
9. Place under the grill in your oven until the whites are just set and the yolks are still slightly runny – 3-5 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and crumble over the feta cheese. Sprinkle on more black pepper and the basil leaves. Serve immediately with toasted bread for dipping.
Recipe courtesy of Heritage Breeds
What do you think of this Courgette, Basil And Feta Baked Eggs recipe by Izy Hossack?
Fancy trying it?
You Might Also Like: