Miso, Barley Porridge with Winter Greens and Fried Egg anyone?
If you’re into savoury breakfasts, this is for you. This is a quick, easy alternative to your standard porridge and can be enjoyed any time of day. It’s full of flavour, thanks to the addition of the miso. Remember to give your porridge a chance to cool slightly before adding the miso to preserve the gut-friendly bacteria.
How To Make Miso, Barley Porridge with Winter Greens and Fried Egg:
Prep time: 3
Cook time: 12
- 50g Rude Health Naked Barley flakes
- 50g Rude Health Daily Oats
- 500ml water
- 2-3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 large handfuls (approx 160g) winter greens, finely sliced
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 ½ tbsp brown miso
- 2 tsp nigella seeds, toasted
- Purple shiso to garnish (optional)
- Kimchi or fermented radishes, to garnish (optional)
How To Make:
1. Bring the oats, barley flakes and water to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Heat a frying pan and add a splash of oil. Fry the onions for a minute or so then add the greens. Fry until the edges of the greens are slightly crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Using the same pan, add another splash of oil and crack the eggs into the pan. Sprinkle over a pinch of chilli and cook until the edges crisp.
4. Next, stir the miso through the porridge and spoon into warmed bowls. Top with the greens, egg and nigella seeds. Garnish with the shiso and serve with a side of pickles or kimchi for an added kick.
Allergy info: eggs
Recipe courtesy of Rude Health
What do you think of this Miso, Barley Porridge with Winter Greens and Fried Egg recipe?
Fancy trying it?