Today I am sharing a tasty recipe for Pancake Day from Doves Farm.
Galettes De Sarrasin – Buckwheat Pancakes:
This traditional style of a savoury pancake is popular in Northern France.
They can be served with a filling of your choice placed in the middle of the galette, which is then folded into an open or closed envelope.
Typical fillings are chopped ham or tomato with grated cheese or wilted spinach, a spoon of cream and an egg in the middle.
How To Make Galettes De Sarrasin – Buckwheat Pancakes:
- 100g Doves Farm Buckwheat Flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 300ml milk
- 50g butter, melted
- 25g spinach, wilted
- 1 tbsp cream
- 25g Comté, finely grated
- 1 egg
- butter softened
- Salt and pepper
- Large frying pan, oven tray
- 180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
How To Make:
1. Put the flour, salt, egg and half the milk into a bowl or jug.
2. Beat to a smooth paste then stir in the remaining milk to make a thin batter.
3. Refrigerate the batter for up to 12 hours or if using straight away continue with the recipe.
4. Lightly oil a frying pan so that the oil just covers the surface and get the pan nice and hot.
5. Stir the melted butter into the batter then pour or spoon some batter into the hot pan and roll it out to the edges.
6. Cook the pancake, loosening the edges until the base is golden.
7. Turn it over and cook the other side. Repeat until the batter is used.
8. Serve with sweet or savoury fillings of your choice.
1. Pre-heat the oven, brush an oven tray and the centre of the galette with softened butter.
2. Wilt the spinach, stir in the cream, season with salt and pepper and place it in the middle of the galette.
3. Sprinkle grated Comté around the edges of the spinach.
4. Break an egg onto the spinach and fold the edges of the galette over to cover the egg white and to form a square.
5. Place the filled galettes on the prepared oven tray and bake for 5 – 12 minutes until the egg is set.
6. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Doves Farm
The Doves Farm brand features 20 different flours, including flours made from ancient grains such as Einkorn, Emmer and KAMUT® Khorasan as well as plain white, plain wholemeal and pasta flour. The range is certified by The Soil Association and also includes organic biscuits, incorporating 44 products in total.
Facebook – @dovesfarmfoods, Twitter – @dovesfarm