Recipe courtesy of Watercress
Shallot tarte tatin with goat’s cheese, roasted cherry tomatoes and watercress salsa verde (v).
The salsa verde for this dish uses chopped nori seaweed sheets in place of the traditional anchovies to add the same salty richness while still utilising vegetarian ingredients.
How To Make Shallot Tarte Tatin With Goat’s Cheese, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes And Watercress Salsa Verde:
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 300g shallots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 15g butter
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 150g puff pastry
- 75g soft goat’s cheese
- 200g cherry vine tomatoes
- Flour, for dusting
- Salt and pepper
For the salsa verde:
- ½ clove garlic, finely chopped
- 15g watercress, chopped
- 10g mint leaves, chopped
- 10g basil leaves, chopped
- 10g capers, drained
- 10g cornichons, chopped
- ½ sheet of nori seaweed, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How To Make:
- Preheat oven to 180°C. To make the shallots easier to peel, place them in a heatproof bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover. Leave for ten minutes before draining and peeling. Use a sharp knife to trim off the roots, if the shallots are quite large you may want to cut them in half.
- Heat the butter and 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-low heat. Add the shallots, along with a pinch of salt, and fry gently for 10-15 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned. Stir in the vinegar and sugar along with the leaves from one sprig of thyme and continue to cook for a couple of minutes before removing from the heat.
- Take two 10cm tart tins, preferably without loose bases, and scatter the remaining thyme leaves inside. If using loose-based tart tins, make sure you line them with greaseproof paper first to prevent the vinegar and sugar sauce from running out of the bottom. Split the shallots evenly between the two tins and tip in the sticky sauce.
- Dust a work surface with flour and roll out the pastry to roughly the thickness of a pound coin. Cut out two 12-cm diameter rounds, then carefully place each round on top of the tart tins, tucking in the edges. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden then leave to rest in the tins for five minutes.
- Place the tomatoes in a small baking tray. Drizzle over the rest of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper before roasting in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Finally, make the salsa verde. Mix all ingredients together, taste and adjust seasoning. You may need to add a little more olive oil if necessary.
- Turn out the tarts and serve warm with a good dollop of goat’s cheese, the roasted tomatoes on the vine and a good drizzle of the salsa verde.
Recipe courtesy of Watercress:
For these and other tempting watercress recipes, visit Watercress.
These recipes were created by development chef Keri Astill-Frew. Keri has worked in top restaurants across the UK including a Michelin star hotel in Lancashire and a variety of fine dining restaurants and gastro-pubs in Dorset and Sussex. She is passionate about watercress, both as an ingredient and for its fantastic health benefits, and is devoted to developing new and delicious ways for you to incorporate more of it into your diet.
Recipe Photography: Lara Jane Thorpe
Try now or Pin for later!?
What do you think of this Shallot Tarte Tatin With Goat’s Cheese, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes And Watercress Salsa Verde recipe?
Fancy trying it?
Share your thoughts in the comments below ⇣
You might also like:
Gnocchi alla Trapanese.
Some More Posts That Might Be Of Interest:
- California Walnut And Lemon Parsley Spaghetti
- California Walnut, Spinach And Feta Baklava
- Chilled California Walnut And Cucumber Sunshine Soup
- California Walnut And Kale Salad With Grilled Salmon
- Cauli-rice and California Walnut Crusted Egg Buddha Bowl
- Asparagus, Tuna And Bean Salad With Shallot And Caper Vinaigrette
- Chantenay Carrot, Bulgar Wheat And Chickpea Spicy Salad
- Radish And Celery Potato Salad: Healthy Lunch
- Lentil, Pepper And Spinach Balti: Dinner Recipe
- Crispy Tofu Rice Bowl With Soy Lime Dressing