Asian Rice Noodle & Cavolo Nero Salad anyone?
Get set for spring and summer dining with Cavolo Nero.
As the weather gets warmer, our thoughts start to turn to creating flavourful, colourful and healthy meals, which can be enjoyed al fresco with friends and family.
Hailing from Italy, but now grown in the UK, kale’s cousin cavolo nero is the perfect ingredient for spring and summer eating.
With an intense and slightly sweet flavour, the veg is a source of vitamins C, A and K, contains manganese, copper, fibre, calcium and iron and rich in lutein. It’s also versatile enough to be used in an array of summer dishes; from salads and stir-frys, to paella and pulled pork!
To get set for the warmer weather, why not give these recipes from Discover Cavolo Nero, whose farmers grow the brilliant brassica in the mineral-rich soils of Lincolnshire, a try?
Over the next few days, I will be sharing some tasty recipes.
Starting today with The Asian Rice Noodle & Cavolo Nero Salad, then a Prawn & Kale Paella and Slow Roasted Pulled Pork with Spring Green Salad.
They are all perfect for getting set to spring and summer.
How To Make Asian Rice Noodle & Cavolo Nero Salad:
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 3 minutes
- 200g bag sliced Cavolo Nero
- 300g straight to wok ribbon rice noodles
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated (150g)
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 28g pack coriander, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 25g unsalted roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
How To Make:
1. Cook the Cavolo Nero in a large pan of boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain well.
2. Place the noodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water, stir to break the noodles up a little, leave for 1-2 minutes then drain.
3. Meanwhile, mix together the chilli sauce, soy, fish sauce and lime juice in a small bowl.
4. Toss together the Cavolo Nero, noodles, spring onions, carrot, chilli and most of the coriander and peanuts then stir in the dressing.
5. Serve sprinkled with the remaining coriander and peanuts.
Great as a light lunch or served with fish or chicken. Try using egg noodles cooked according to pack instructions instead of the rice noodles. For a more main meal, stir in some shredded roast chicken or cooked prawns.
Recipe and image courtesy of Discover Great Veg.
What do you think of this Asian Rice Noodle & Cavolo Nero Salad recipe?
Do you fancy trying it?