Cape Malay Chicken Curry: How Tasty
This Indian-influenced curry is a fragrant combination of chicken, onions, garlic, South African apple and sweet potato with turmeric, chillies, cumin and cardamom.
It’s a spicy, warming treat!
How To Make A Cape Malay Chicken Curry:
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 20g butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 6 cardamom pods, bashed to split them
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500g chicken breast, chopped into chunks
- 1 South African Pink Lady or Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 200g sweet potato, peeled, cored and diced
- 400g can coconut milk
- 200ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2tsp cornflour, blended with a little cold water
- 200g basmati rice
- 5cm piece of cucumber, very finely chopped
- 6tbsp natural yogurt
- Finely sliced red onion
- chopped coriander to garnish
How To Make Cape Malay Chicken Curry:
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the chilli, turmeric, cumin, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick and fry gently for another 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes to seal, then add the apple, sweet potato, coconut milk, stock and coriander.
- Simmer gently, partially covered, for 30-35 minutes, topping up with a splash of hot water if needed.
- About 10 minutes before the end of cooking time, put the rice on to cook in lightly salted simmering water. Cook for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Mix the cucumber and yogurt together and season with a pinch of salt.
- Thicken the curry with the blended cornflour, then serve with the rice and cucumber raita, garnished with red onion and chopped coriander.
Cook’s tip: Use regular potato instead of sweet potato, if you prefer.
The campaign is run by HORTGRO, the industry association representing South African fruit growers.
Recipe and images courtesy of: South African Fruit.
What do you think of this Cape Malay Chicken Curry recipe?
Fancy trying it?
You might also like these curry recipes: