Recipe and images courtesy of South African Fruit.
Garden Route Jam Jar Adventure.
Any fun plans for the weekend or Mothering Sunday?
Nothing much planned here as my Husband is working and my older Sons both live far away.
Garden Route Jam Jar Adventure anyone?
These layered salads are made in Kilner jars or screw-topped jam jars, with dinky little side jars of extra dressing.
They’re perfect for a healthy packed lunch – and brilliant for picnics too!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
How To Make A Garden Route Jam Jar Adventure:
- 2 South African Pink Lady or Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ¼ cucumber, chopped
- 20g raisins or sultanas
- 20g roast peanuts
- 150g roast chicken, cut into chunks
- 1 South African Conference pear, cored and cut into chunks
- 3tbsp natural yogurt
- ½tsp ground turmeric
- ½tsp ground cumin
- 1tbsp chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 x 400g cans mixed bean salad, drained
- 4 small handfuls salad leaves
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 3tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- 1tsp honey
How To Make:
1 Mix together the apple, lemon juice, carrot, cucumber, raisins or sultanas and peanuts. Share between 4 Kilner jars or large screw-topped jars.
2 Combine the chicken, pear, yogurt, turmeric, cumin and coriander or parsley. Season. Spoon into the jars and top with the mixed beans and salad leaves. Seal with the lids and keep cool.
3 For the dressing, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and honey with a little salt and pepper. Pour into small jars. Use to dress the salads just before serving.
Cook’s Tip: For a vegetarian version use feta cheese instead of chicken.
The campaign is run by HORTGRO, the industry association representing South African fruit growers.
Recipe and images courtesy of: South African Fruit.
What do you think of this Garden Route Jam Jar Adventure recipe?
Fancy trying it?
You might like to make one of these tasty salads up in a jam jar:
Some More Posts That Might Be Of Interest:
- Asparagus, Tuna And Bean Salad With Shallot And Caper Vinaigrette
- Steamed Chantenay And Little Gem Salad With Feta Dressing
- Isle of Wight Tomato Avocado And Red Onion Salad With A Lime And Chilli Dressing
- Honey Mustard Turkey And Chantenay Salad With Pine Nuts And Goats Cheese
- Lemon Roasted Chantenay With Feta And Mint Couscous Salad
- Shallot, Courgette, British Asparagus Salad
- Fancy A Chantenay Prosciutto And Rocket Salad?
- Crunchy Summer Salad With Celery, Radish And Apple
- Griddled Lemony Chicken Fillets With A Tomato Salad
- Watercress And Avocado Salad With Bacon And Apple