Happy Thursday. Fancy making some of these Gluten-free Mini Elderflower And Lemon Loaf Cakes?
These are quite delicious and very moist little cakes which are perfect with a cup of tea in the afternoon or even as a gift individually wrapped in a small bag with a pretty ribbon.
You will need 6 mini cardboard loaf cases (8x4x4cm) available online, or from kitchen supply shops or large supermarkets.
Alternatively, bake 8 little cakes in muffin cases.
How To Make Mini Elderflower and Lemon Loaf Cakes [gluten free]:
For The Elderflower Loaf Cakes:
- 10 individual non-stick loaf cases
- 40g pistachios, roughly chopped, plus a few extra to decorate
- 160g ground almonds
- 40g rice flour
- 1½ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 175g unsalted butter softened
- 175g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons and juice of 1
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
For The Syrup And Glacé Icing:
- 150g icing sugar sifted
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of Belvoir Elderflower Cordial (you may need a little extra)
To Make The Loaf Cakes:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4
- Place the individual loaf cases on a rectangular tray which will hold them all in one tight layer.
- Lightly roast the pistachios for 5 minutes on a baking tray. Place the ground almonds, rice flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In an electric mixer, or using a bowl and electric whisk, cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs and almond mixture alternately, beating well between each addition.
- Drizzle in the lemon juice and finally fold in the pistachios. Divide the mixture evenly between the cases. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until risen and the centres bounce back when lightly touched.
To Make The Syrup:
- Whilst the cakes are baking, in a small bowl mix 1 tablespoon of icing sugar together with the lemon juice and elderflower cordial. On removal from the oven, immediately prick the surface of the cakes with a cocktail stick and spoon over half of the syrup. Allow the loaves to cool down completely.
To Make The Glacé Icing:
- Gradually add the remaining syrup I teaspoon at a time to the rest of the icing sugar until it is the consistency of pourable double cream. Add a little extra elderflower cordial if the icing is too thick.
- Drizzle the icing over the cooled cakes and scatter with the remaining pistachios. Allow the icing to set before serving.
Let Them Eat Cake Like Meghan and Harry!
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have announced that their wedding cake won’t be a traditional, rich, heavy fruit cake but a light, organic lemon and elderflower cake, reflecting the couple’s interest in seasonal ingredients, sustainability, provenance and flavour.
The chosen chef, Claire Ptak won’t go far wrong if she chooses to use Belvoir Fruit Farms’ Organic Elderflower Cordial in her creation.
Hand made using elderflowers picked from the farm’s own 90 acres of organic elder plantations (the only ones in the UK) and from those growing wild in the surrounding hedgerows, the family business uses the same family recipe today as was used back in 1984 when they decided to sell their Cordial (a firm favourite with friends and family) to farm shops and delis.
The elderflowers are in season for only a very short time each year (usually the end of May to the beginning of July) and the arrival of the creamy frothy blossoms in the hedgerow traditionally marks the beginning of summer. Let’s hope they’re in full bloom for the big day on May 19 and we, and the happy couple, are basking in warm sunshine!
If you’d like to celebrate the wedding with a slice of fabulous cake try this delicious elderflower and lemon inspired bake from Belvoir Fruit Farms or visit Belvoir Fruit Farms for more ideas.
Recipe and image courtesy of Belvoir Fruit Farms.
What do you think of this Gluten Free Mini Elderflower and Lemon Loaf Cakes recipe?
Fancy trying this recipe out?
You might also like these other elderflower and lemon inspired bakes from Belvoir Fruit Farms:
Elderflower And Lemon Drizzle Cake:
I love, love, love lemon cake and today I’m sharing an Elderflower & Lemon Drizzle Cake as a guest post from Belvoir.
Elderflower, Lemon & Poppy Seed Layered Cake:
This cake is so pretty it could be used for those most bona fide reasons to celebrate – a birthday or even a wedding.
To make the celebration complete, try adding a dash of Belvoir Elderflower Cordial to a glass of fizz or just enjoy a refreshing glass of lightly sparkling Belvoir Elderflower Pressé.